This post about the best places in New Jersey to watch airplanes contains an Amazon affiliate link. If you make a purchase we will receive a small commission.
Best New Jersey Places to Watch Airplanes With Your Kids
If you are looking for some different type of family fun and your kids love planes, check out these great New Jersey places to watch airplanes take off and land. Below are some of the best airports for plane spotting in New Jersey. They provide excellent viewing angles and lots of space for your family to enjoy the thrill of watching beautiful aircrafts in flight.
Tips for Watching Airplanes with Your Kids
- Find your nearest airport and check out their website to see if they have an observation park or area.
- The best time to visit your local airport is in early morning or late afternoon on a weekday.
- While plane spotting share your own stories about air travel and experiences you have had with your children.
- Don’t forget your binoculars and camera. (We recommend these binoculars, rated very highly on Amazon, click over to get a pair for yourself and your kids.)
Places in New Jersey to Watch Airplanes
Visit these North Jersey airports to watch airplanes
Bergen County Airports to Watch Airplanes
- Teterboro airport is located at 233 Industrial Avenue, Teterboro and has some playing fields located east of the airport on Redneck Drive. Bring some snacks and a picnic blanket.
Morris County Airports to Watch Airplanes
- Recommended by reader, Meghan, “Lincoln Park airport. Also has a restaurant (called Sunset Pub and Grill). Lots of helicopters and private planes.” Lincoln Park Airport is a privately owned, public use airport located two nautical miles north of the central business district of Lincoln Park, in Morris County. Lincoln Park Airport is located at 425 Beaverbrook Road in Lincoln Park.
- Also recommended by reader, Meghan, “Morristown airport. Can see the jests taking off and landing from Columbia Turnpike.” Morristown Municipal Airport is in Morris County, New Jersey three miles east of downtown Morristown. Morristown Municipal Airport is located at 8 Airport Road in Morristown. You can learn more about the Morristown airport in this video.
Sussex County Airports to Watch Airplanes
- Recommended by reader, Daniel, “A lifelong plane lover, I would also like to recommend Aeroflex Andover airport, located in a beautiful state park in Andover, Sussex County. The local flying school has some very cool stuff, including a Piper Cub and Boeing Stearman (Kaydet).” The address is 53 County Road 639, Sussex.
Union County Airports to Watch Airplanes
- Ikea cafeteria is located at 1000 IKEA Drive, Elizabeth and offers the best views for huge airplanes. It is right across the highway from Newark International Airport.
Visit these Central Jersey airports to watch airplanes
Hunterdon County Airports to Watch Airplanes
- Sky Manor is located at 48 Sky Manor Road in Pittstown and is a fabulous location for for watching aircrafts. It even has a restaurant and you can sit right near the runway with some yummy snacks. You can read more about our experience at the Sky Manor Airport in this article.
- Solberg Airport is located at 39 Thor-Solberg Road, Whitehouse Station and offers lots of great space for your family to enjoy watching small aircrafts take off and land.
Visit these South Jersey airports to watch airplanes
Burlington County Airports to Watch Airplanes
- Flying W Airport is located at 60 Fostertown Road, Medford and has a restaurant located on Fostertown Road. In the back of the restaurant there is a gazebo and some benches. On a nice day its common to see small airplanes and helicopters.
Gloucester County Locations to Watch Airplanes
- From a reader – “National Park in Gloucester County is a small park right across the river from Philadelphia. Awesome views of planes coming in to land.” Red Bank Battlefield in National Park is at 100 Hessian Avenue, National Park NJ
Have a new location to watch planes that’s not on our list? Please let us know in the comments below.
Please note Jersey Family Fun does participate in affiliate programs. If you use our link to purchase a product, a small commission does go to Jersey Family Fun to support our free services to readers, but this does not affect your price.
Thursday 28th of June 2018
I drove around the airport and saw that there are playing fields off of Moonachie Ave called Wright Brothers/Teterboro Soccer Field. Right next to what looked like an entrance was also a "Private Property No Tresspassing" sign, so I'm unsure. Can someone confirm if this is a public place where we can watch airplanes take off?
Sunday 11th of December 2016
Lincoln Park airport. Also has a restaurant. Lots of helicopters and private planes. Also Morristown airport. Can see the jests taking off tand landing from Columbia Turnpike.
Saturday 29th of April 2017
TX Meghan for this information
Thursday 30th of March 2017
Thank you Meghan, we've added these airports to our list. - Jenn
Daniel L. Berek
Friday 15th of July 2016
A lifelong plane lover, I would also like to recommend Aeroflex Andover airport, located in a beautiful state park in Andover, Sussex County. The local flying school has some very cool stuff, including a Piper Cub and Boeing Stearman (Kaydet).
Thursday 9th of July 2015
Not NJ but just across river in PA. Van Sant Historic Airfield has old biplanes and does family dinner and movie last Saturday of each month. They have a Facebook page with more info. BTW thanks for your posts on playgrounds we've been to many with our granddaughters.
Thursday 9th of July 2015
Thanks for that great information and your compliments. ~ Jenn