The National Park Service maintains 9 National Parks as well as other protected areas in New Jersey to explore, learn, and enjoy the outdoors! Consider this your guide to national parks in New Jersey.
Explore National Parks in New Jersey
National Park Service admission fees
- Fees vary, but there are free entry days at each park (mainly holidays and National Public Lands Day).
- A park entrance pass can be purchased for $80/year, and is good for the card holder and 3 guests.
- Free for the military.
- With the “Every Kid in a Park” initiative, all 4th graders get free admission to all National Parks.
National Parks in New Jersey
National Parks in New Jersey – National Parks in North Jersey
- Ellis Island – take the ferry from Jersey City, Hudson County. There is no entrance fee to the island and museum, but various ferry fees apply as well as fees for advanced tours. Visit the hall where 12 million immigrants entered on their way to an American life.
- Delaware Water Gap – Warren County. No entrance fee but amenity fees may apply from April – October. Mountains, streams, and the 1000 foot deep water gap are available for outdoor fun.
- Thomas Edison Historical Park – West Orange, Essex County. Explore Thomas Edison’s home and laboratory. Entrance fee $15 is valid for seven days. 16 and under eneter free.
- Paterson Great Falls – Paterson, Passaic County. No entrance fee. View the majestic falls and explore the Great Falls Historic District Cultural Center. Learn about Jenn and her boys’ experience earning Junior Ranger badges in this blog post, Earning Paterson Great Falls Junior Ranger Badges.
- Morristown National Historical Park – Morristown, Morris County. UPDATE March 21, 2020 – As a public health precaution, and in response to NJ Executive Order 107, Morristown NHP is temporarily closed until the Executive order is lifted for the safety of staff and visitors. This includes all buildings, grounds, trails and parking lots. No fees to enter. Encompasses the sites of George Washington’s winter encampment from 1779-1780. Explore trails, museums, and the Ford Mansion.
National Parks in New Jersey – National Parks in Central Jersey
- Gateway National Recreation Area – Sandy Hook, Monmouth County. Parking fees in summer only, no entrance fees. Beach, bird watching, nature trails, Fort Hancock and the Sandy Hook lighthouse await!
Non parks, maintained by the National Park Service
- Washington – Rochambeau Trail. Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Union, Middlesex, Mercer, No fees. The trail preserves the march of the American-French allied forces in 1781-1783.
- Appalachian Trail – Sussex and Warren Counties. No fees. The trail extends more than 2000 miles through 14 states.
- New Jersey Pinelands Reserve – No fees. Biosphere reserve: 0ver a million acres over 56 communities.
Check out the Junior Ranger program for added educational fun while visiting your National Park!