Do you know about New Jersey State Parks?
We’re all familiar with the local town and county parks, many of which are reviewed here on Jersey Family Fun. New Jersey State Parks are run by the NJ Department of Environmental Protection and park lands were purchased/donated/acquired for providing outdoor recreational opportunities for the public. They might have historic buildings within their confines, or have lakes or streams, but most do not have playgrounds so be ready for some walking and exploring.
Other than wonderful protected open space, some parks allow camping and have geocaching. Plenty have bodies of water too, so consider bringing a boat or a kayak!
How about a nature walk, lighthouse climb, crafts or yoga at a state park?
State parks offer lots of special events. Many are at an additional fee, but most are still a bargain! Find them here, listed by a few months at a time.
New Jersey State Parks admission fees
State parks generally charge a parking fee, usually $5 or $10 per car depending on the day. It is also higher for out of state residents, so be sure to have your ID with you. Click here for the list of specific fees.
If you frequent state parks, you may benefit from a state park pass, at a fee of $50 for the year for NJ residents. This pass is free to senior citizens so be sure to sign up grandparents!
List of New Jersey State Parks
- Allaire State Park – Wall, Monmouth County
- Read our review of Allaire Village, located inside the park.
- Allamuchy Mountain State Park – Allamuchy
- Barnegat Lighthouse State Park – Long Beach Island, Ocean County
- Cape May Point State Park – Cape May, Cape May County
- Coming soon our mom’s guide to visiting Cape May Point State Park with kids.
- Cheesequake State Park – Old Bridge, Middlesex County
- Corson’s Inlet State Park – Cape May County
- Coming soon our mom’s guide to visiting Corson’s Inlet State Park with kids.
- Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park – Spans multiple western counties
- Double Trouble State Park – Lacey and Berkeley Township, Ocean County
- Farny State Park – Rockaway, Morris County
- Fort Mott State Park- Pennsville, Salem County
- Read our guide to visiting Fort Mott State Park with kids.
- Hacklebarney State Park – Long Valley and Chester, Morris County
- High Point State Park – Montague, Sussex County
- Hopatcong State Park – Landing, Morris County
- Read our review of Hopatcong State Park
- Island Beach State Park – Berkeley, Ocean County
- Coming soon our mom’s guide to visiting Island Beach State Park with kids.
- Kittatinny Valley State Park – Andover, Sussex County
- Liberty State Park – Jersey City, Hudson County
- Read our guide to visiting Liberty State Park with kids.
- Long Pond Ironworks State Park – West Milford, Passaic County
- Monmouth Battlefield State Park – Manalapan and Freehold, Monmouth County
- Read our review of Monmouth Battlefield State Park
- Parvin State Park – Pittsgrove Township, Salem County
- Click over to read our Mom’s Guide to Visiting Parvin State Park with Kids.
- Princeton Battlefield State Park – Princeton, Mercer County
- Rancocas State Park – Hainesport, Burlington County
- Ringwood State Park – Ringwood, Passaic County
- Stephens State Park – Hackettstown, Morris County
- Swartswood State Park – Stillwater Township, Sussex County
- Voorhees State Park – Glen Gardner, Hunterdon County
- Washington Crossing State Park – Hopewell, Mercer County
- Washington Rock State Park – Green Brook, Somerset County
- Wawayanda State Park – Vernon and West Milford, Sussex and Passaic Counties
List of New Jersey State Forests
The NJDEP also maintains the following state forests in New Jersey. Forest lands were purchased/acquired were for conservation of NJ’s natural resource (trees); timber production; watershed protection; soil erosion control; and demonstration areas for forestry practices. Today, many offer recreational park activities such as camping, fishing and hiking.
- Abram S. Hewitt State Forest- West Milford, Passaic County
- Bass River State Forest – Tuckerton, Ocean and Burlington Counties
- Belleplain State Forest – Woodbine, Cape May and Cumberland Counties
- Coming soon our mom’s guide to visiting Belleplain State Forest with kids.
- Brendan T. Byrne State Forest – New Lisbon, Burlington County
- Jenny Jump State Forest – Hope, Warren County
- Norvin Green State Forest – Bloomingdale, Passaic County
- Penn State Forest – Jenkin’s Neck, Burlington County
- Ramapo Mountain State Forest – Ringwood, Bergen and Passaic Counties
- Stokes State Forest – Branchville, Sussex County
- Wharton State Forest – Hammonton, Atlantic, Burlington and Camden Counties
- Coming soon our mom’s guide to visiting Wharton State Forest with kids.
- Worthington State Forest – Columbia, Warren County
There are also state owned historic sites, some are within the confines of the state parks. Find them here.
Looking to swim? You can do so at the following! Check the website for hours.
- Atsion Recreation Area
- Bass River
- High Point
- Island Beach
- Round Valley
- Spruce Run
Which New Jersey State Park is your favorite?
Want more parks? Click over for our listing of New Jersey’s National Parks.