As a New Jersey mom of three boys, finding ways to help them burn energy has always been one of my top priorities. So, climbing New Jersey lighthouses with them not only gets them out and about, it also lets us experience the beauty of the New Jersey coastline as a family.
Tips for Exploring Lighthouses in New Jersey with Kids
We’ve been exploring lighthouses for years now and every time we visit a new one the kids are still just as enamored with it as they were with the first. Since we have explored so many different lighthouses, we’ve learned some tricks that might benefit other New Jersey families. Take a look at our tips and then move on to our guide of New Jersey lighthouses.
If possible, visit the lighthouse with two adults.
My youngest was sometimes too little to climb the lighthouse, so when I took the boys alone, it meant that no one was able to climb. With two adults present, it’s easier for one to stay back with the child who is too small (or too scared!) while everyone else goes on ahead. It just makes the trip a lot less stressful!
Be prepared for different types of weather.
New Jersey weather can be unpredictable – especially in the summer! Be sure to pack some light raincoats or ponchos, so you’ll still be able to explore the lighthouse.
Try to visit on National Lighthouse Day!
National Lighthouse Day at New Jersey lighthouses is a blast! Many of them have special, family-friendly events planned that make exploring the lighthouse even more fun. Check below and your lighthouse’s website (if available) for more information about their planned events for the day. Keep in mind that many lighthouses still don’t have websites, so you may have to pick up the phone and call to inquire.
Take lots of pictures!
Don’t be shy about snapping pictures of your New Jersey lighthouse visits! They’re a great reminder of fun-filled summer days!
Above all else, have a great day, relax, and enjoy learning about the history of lighthouses along the New Jersey coastline! Tell them Jersey Family Fun sent you!
New Jersey Lighthouses
Below is a list of New Jersey Lighthouses by county. If lighthouse information is available online, you can link to it by clicking on the website link we provided. For each lighthouse in New Jersey we have included their address, hours of operation, admission prices, their contact information, and a link to our review of that particular lighthouse.
Atlantic County Lighthouse
- This South Jersey lighthouse is located at 31 S. Rhode Island Avenue in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- The Absecon Lighthouse is open July – August 7 days a Week – 10 am to 5 pm and until 8 PM on Thursdays. September – June Thursdays – Mondays 11 am to 4 pm.
- Free parking and admission to the Keeper’s House Museum, Exhibits, Gift Shop and Grounds.
- Absecon Lighthouse climbing fees
- $10 Adults
- $9 college students and seniors 65 and up
- $6 children 4-12
- $5 Atlantic City residents with ID
- Kids under 4 and active duty military free
- To learn about more Absecon Lighthouse events for families visit this link for Absecon Lighthouse events for families.
- Learn more about the Absecon Lighthouse on their site or call 609-449-1360.
- FOR 2020 MASKS ARE REQUIRED INSIDE.
Cape May County Lighthouses
Cape May Lighthouse
A great place to get out and explore nature in Cape May is at the Cape May Point State Park. Best known for it’s 157 foot Cape May Lighthouse, the Cape May Point State Park is also busting with all kinds of wildlife and nature trails. Plus, if you want to learn anything about birds, Cape May is the place to go. Believe it or not, but in the Birding community Cape May is one of the most popular sites in North America to watch the fall migration.
- Another South Jersey lighthouse, the Cape May Lighthouse is located at 215 Light House Avenue in Cape May Point, New Jersey. (take Exit 0 off the GS Parkway)
- The Cape May Lighthouse is open daily from 10 AM – 4 PM
- There is no entrance fee for the Cape May Lighthouse State Park. It is open to the public from dawn to dusk.
- There are 199 steps to the top of the Cape May Lighthouse.
- Cape May Lighthouse admission and climbing fees
- $10 for adults
- $5 for children ages 3 to 12
- Children under 3 free.
- Here are some tips for getting outdoors and exploring Cape May Point State Park:
- There are 3 nature trails – Red (.5 miles), Yellow (1.5 miles), and Blue (2.0 miles) The Red Trail is both stroller and wheelchair accessible
- Surf fishing, guided nature walks, and guided bird walks are available
- Picnic areas are available (Groups of 20 or more must reserve and there is a fee)
- Take a walk on the beach and you can check out the WWII bunker (Now partly under water, it used to sit 900 feet inland!)
- The park has a beach wheelchair available for public use
- To learn about more Cape May Lighthouse events for families visit this link for Cape May Lighthouse events for families.
- Learn more about the Cape May Lighthouse on their site or call (609) 884-5404.
Hereford Inlet Lighthouse – CLOSED FOR 2020
- The Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is a Southern New Jersey lighthouse located at 111 N Central Avenue in North Wildwood, New Jersey.
- The Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is open daily from 9 AM – 5 PM from the middle of May to the middle of October. From October through May it’s best to call (609) 500-1561 for hours.
- Admission is free to enter the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse. Donations are appreciated.
- Click over to read about our experience and our review of Hereford Inlet Lighthouse.
- To learn about more Hereford Inlet Lighthouse events for families visit this link for Hereford Inlet Lighthouse events for families.
- Learn more about the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse on their site or call (609) 500-1561.
Cumberland County Lighthouse
East Point Lighthouse
- Another South Jersey lighthouse is East Point Lighthouse at 10 Lighthouse Road in Heislerville, New Jersey.
- The East Point Lighthouse is open Saturdays and Sundays, 1 PM – 4 PM from July – September. From September through July please call 856-785-0349.
- Lighthouse climbing fees are $5 adult, $2 senior over 65, free for children up to age 12 and veterans/U.S. military.
- To learn about more East Point Lighthouse events for families visit this link for East Point Lighthouse events for families.
- Learn more about the East Point Lighthouse on their site or call 856-785-0349.
- In 2020, masks are required to visit.
Gloucester County Lighthouse
Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse
- Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse is another South Jersey lighthouse, located at 2nd Street in Paulsboro, New Jersey.
- At this time the opening of Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse is unknown.
- Learn more about the Paulsboro lighthouse in our review of Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse.
- To learn about more Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse events for families visit this link for Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse events for families.
- Learn more about the Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse on their site or call 856-423-1554.
Monmouth County Lighthouses
Twin Lights Lighthouse
- The Twin Lights Lighthouse is a fun Central Jersey lighthouse located at Lighthouse Road in Highlands, New Jersey
- The Twin Lights Lighthouse site is open in 2020 but not any indoor locations.
- To learn about more Twin Lights Lighthouse events for families visit this link for Twin Lights Lighthouse events for families.
- Learn more about the Twin Lights Lighthouse on their site or call 732-872-1814.
Sandy Hook Lighthouse – CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR 2020
- The Sandy Hook Lighthouse, a Central New Jersey lighthouse is located at 128 South Hartshorne Drive, Highlands, inside the Gateway National Recreation Center.
- Sandy Hook Hours
- April 1 through October 31: The park is open from 5 AM to 9 PM daily, except by permit or as noted below.
- November 1 through March 31: The park is open from 5 AM through 8 PM daily, except by permit.
- Visitor centers and contact stations are open every day EXCEPT Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day (December 25) and New Year’s Day (January 1).
- The Sandy Hook Lighthouse is open 1 – 4:30 daily. Lighthouse tours are first come first served. Children must be 48 inches and taller.
- Lighthouse tours: Offered first-come first served, from 1 PM to 3:30 PM with extended hours in the summer
- Lighthouse Keepers Quarters/ Visitor Center: Open 10 AM to 4 PM daily with extended hours in the summer
- Parking at Fort Hancock is always free. There is a $15 charge per day for beach parking from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.
- There are no additional fees to enter or climb the Sandy Hook lighthouse. Children MUST be at least 48 inches tall to climb the tower.
- To learn about more Sandy Hook Lighthouse events for families visit this link for Sandy Hook Lighthouse events for families.
- Learn more about the Sandy Hook Lighthouse on their site or call (732) 872-5970.
Sea Girt Lighthouse – 2020 status unknown
- Sea Girt Lighthouse is another Central Jersey lighthouse. This one is located at 9 Ocean Avenue in Sea Girt, New Jersey.
- Guided tours of Sea Girt Lighthouse are conducted Sundays 2-4 p.m.from mid April through November, except holiday weekends.
- Sea Girt Lighthouse tours are free; donations appreciated.
- To learn about more Sea Girt Lighthouse events for families visit this link for Sea Girt Lighthouse events for families.
- Learn more about the Sea Girt Lighthouse on their site or call 732-974-0514.
Ocean County Lighthouses
Tucker’s Island Lighthouse – CLOSED FOR 2020
- The Tucker’s Island Lighthouse is located at the Tuckerton Seaport at 120 West Main Street in Tuckerton, New Jersey.
- The Tuckerton Seaport is open daily 10 am – 4 pm.
- Admission to the Tuckerton Seaport is
- Adults: $9
- Seniors: $6
- Children ages 5-12: $5
- Children under 5 and Seaport members: free
- Active Military & Immediate Family: Free
- Veteran and 1 guest: Free
- Climbing the lighthouse is included in Tuckerton Seaport admission.
- Learn more about the lighthouse and the our experiences in our articles about Tuckerton Seaport.
- To learn about more Tuckerton Seaport events for families visit this link for Tuckerton Seaport events for families.
- Learn more about the Tuckerton Seaport on their site or call 609-296-8868.
Barnegat Lighthouse – CLOSED FOR 2020
- This South Jersey/Jersey Shore lighthouse is in the Barnegat Lighthouse State Park, Entrance near Broadway and West 3rd Street in Barnegat Light.
- The Barnegat Lighthouse is open daily 10 AM – 4:30 PM.
- The Barnegat Lighthouse climbing fees
- $3 per person ages 12 and older
- $1 per person ages 6 to 11
- Children under 5 free
- Admission is free before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.
- Click over to read our review of Barnegat Lighthouse.
- To learn about more Barnegat Lighthouse events for families visit this link for Barnegat Lighthouse events for families.
- Learn more about the Barnegat Lighthouse on their site or call(609) 494-2016.
Salem County Lighthouse
Finns Rear Range Lighthouse
- Finns Rear Range Lighthouse is a South Jersey lighthouse at the Supawna Meadows National Wildlife Refuge at Fort Mott & Lighthouse Roads in Pennsville, New Jersey.
- Finns Rear Range Lighthouse is open the third Sunday of the month, March – May, and September – November.
- No fee to climb but they ask for a donation.
- Click over to read our review of Finns Point Rear Range Lighthouse.
- To learn about more Finns Rear Range Lighthouse events for families visit this link for Supawna Meadows National Wildlife Refuge events for families.
- Learn more about the Finns Rear Range Lighthouse on their site or call (609) 463-0994.
Here’s another way to enjoy New Jersey lighthouses, visit a New Jersey National Lighthouse Day event.
New Jersey National Lighthouse Day Events
Activities for National Lighthouse Day, Wednesday, August 7, 2019, in New Jersey include special tour hours and often includes free climbing for children up to age 14. In the past, participants will be able to earn a Junior Lighthouse Keeper Certificate and souvenir sticker by answering questions on the specific characteristics and history of the lighthouse visited. See below for 2018 National Lighthouse Day events in New Jersey
National Lighthouse Day events in North Jersey
National Lighthouse Day events in Central New Jersey
National Lighthouse Day events in South Jersey
East Point Lighthouse will be open from 1 PM – 3 PM on Wednesday August 7.
Click over here to read all of our blog posts about local lighthouses in New Jersey.
Need more ideas for safe activities for kids in New Jersey?
Take a look at these articles on safe things to do in New Jersey with kids.
- New Jersey Outdoor Activities You Can NOW Do!
- New Jersey Gets Creative with Curbside Pickup Kits
- New Jersey Bakeries Selling Cupcake & Cookie Decorating Kits
- 100 Chalk the Walk Ideas to Inspire You
- 10 Ways to Make Family Walks Fun
- New Jersey Coloring Pages and Activity Sheets
- New Jersey State Parks