In partnership with New Jersey Goldfish Swim Schools, the swim and water safety experts at Goldfish Swim School share practical tips and skills for a safer summer.
Did you know that:
- Drowning is the number one cause of injury-related death for children ages one to four.
- Drowning kills nearly 1,000 children every year.
- Formal swimming lessons reduce the likelihood of childhood drowning by 88 percent.
As we head to pool and beach season, it’s the perfect time for all families and caregivers to review essential swim and water safety basics.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recently published updated recommendations on water safety. In the policy statement, the AAP lays out strategies to protect children at each stage of their life. Notably, the AAP recommends that all children should enroll in a learn to swim program by age one.
So, what do parents need to know when it comes to water safety? We asked the swim and water safety experts at Goldfish Swim School to share water safety essentials with us.
Water Safety Basics Every Family Needs to Know
What type of supervision is required when kids are in or around water?
Goldfish Swim School: Any time kids are around water, designate a “water guardian” who will avoid cell phones, conversations, magazines and anything else that might distract the adult from watching children EVERY SINGLE SECOND. Note that most children who drown are supervised. Adults should practice “touch supervision” for young swimmers and keep them within an arm’s reach at all times.
What about puddle jumpers, floaties and other floatation devices? Which floation devices are safe to use with kids?
Goldfish Swim School: Know that floaties, noodles and plastic inner tubes do NOT protect against drowning. They are created as water toys, not life-saving devices. Life jackets should be designated as U.S. Coast Guard-approved.
What should I look for in a learn-to-swim program for my kids?
Goldfish Swim School: Enroll children in high quality swim lessons where kids will focus on mastering “water competency skills” — a few lessons here and there are not enough. We offer a perpetual lesson model because we know that kids need regular, consistent practice in order to develop and maintain these critical water safety skills. There is no such thing as “drown-proofing” kid. Water safety should be top of mind year-round for all families.
What do babies learn in swim lessons?
Goldfish Swim School: We have seen first-hand in our learn-to-swim facilities the many benefits of getting kids into swim lessons at an early age. Our Mini Classes start at four months of age and the curriculum creates a strong foundation for water safety. Mini Class activities include singing group songs, games, activities and getting little ones comfortable and safe in the water. Babies practice their grasp reflex, move on to holding onto the wall and eventually inching their way down it. With the help of mom or dad, babies work on their pulling paddle, “Superman” glides, sea otter floats and kicks.
As babies progress through the Mini Program, they will work on crab walking, getting out of the pool safely by climbing up using the “fin, fin, belly, flipper” technique and breath control. These activities are the building blocks of basic water safety skills.
What water safety basics and skills can parents practice with their kids this summer?
Goldfish Swim School: There are several basic skills that our instructors at Goldfish Swim School work on with students every week. Parents can practice these skills with their kids anytime they are in the water together:
- Work on getting in and out of the pool safely. Fin, Fin, Belly, Flipper! Help your little ones learn how to get out of the pool by manipulating their bodies in this order: elbow, elbow, tummy, knee. Practice this often; you can even do this on your living room floor by having your baby climb onto a couch or chair! After you practice, always remember to celebrate. Eventually, your little one will be strong enough to manage the movement on their own! This is a skill that kids continue to use to safely exit the pool — even when they are older!
- Jump, Turn, Swim to the Wall! Once they have the movement down, let your child jump off the side of the pool to you, help them physically turn back to the wall and then assist them in getting out of the pool by using the Fin, Fin, Belly, Flipper method. Do this over and over again. As they get more confident, let them go under the water and come to the surface on their own. This teaches kids to automatically turn back to the wall behind them to climb out. If a child were to fall into a pool, this skill could help them find the quickest way to safety.
- Rollover/Sea Otter Float. Work with your child on turning over and getting their faces out of the water to take a breath when he/she fatigues.
Your child can learn to swim this summer with Goldfish Swim Schools in New Jersey
In addition to weekly swim lessons, Goldfish Swim School also offers Jump Start Clinics during the summer months. Students make a month of progress in just one week!
Jump Start Clinics are five consecutive days of 30-minute swim lessons that focus on everything from the fundamentals of water safety to fine-tuning stroke technique. Students work with the same instructor every day and continually build upon what they’ve learned the day before.
We are giving away one week of Jump Start Clinics for this summer at any of the New Jersey Goldfish Swim School locations (Closter, Denville, Livingston, Manalapan, Middletown, Mount Laurel, Wyckoff). Comment with the name of the ages of your little fish and the Goldfish Swim School location closest to you! Lesson dates and times and subject to availability. Reach out to Goldfish Swim School for more information on registering for summer Jump Start Clinics! See below for details of the giveaway. The giveaway will run from Sunday, June 9, 2019 to Sunday, June 23, 2019.
The Goldfish Swim School team encourages to you make swimming a family activity. Get lessons for adults who do not know how to swim and practice swim skills together to keep swimming fun and positive! Join us this summer for weekly lessons, a weeklong Jump Start Clinic or a family swim event.
We look forward to a fun and safe summer for all families!
Goldfish Swim School provides swim instruction to children ages 4 months to 12 years in a family-friendly setting with highly trained instructors, small class sizes (max 4:1 student-teacher ratio), shiver-free 90-degree pools using a proven curriculum. Classes are offered in a safe, child-friendly and fun environment using their research-based philosophy called The Science of SwimPlay®.
Goldfish has several NJ locations including:
Visit the website for more information: goldfishswimschool.com.
Jersey Family Fun’s Goldfish Swim School Swimming Lessons Jump Start Clinics Giveaway Details
Jersey Family Fun Giveaways and Contests are subject to the following rules and conditions:
- Unless otherwise stated, entrants can earn a free entry by checking the first free entry box.
- You may earn an additional entry by leaving one comment on the Jersey Family Fun giveaway/contest blog post, that answers the question being asked during the timeframe of the contest. Comments that do not answer the question, while appreciated, will not be valid or count as meeting the requirement. Comments left after the giveaway/contest has closed will not be valid toward the contest.
- Contact information is a requirement for entry: name and a valid email address is required. Other non-personal information may be required/requested for entry. This information will be shared with the giveaway sponsor, Goldfish Swim School.
- Our giveaways/contests are by no means sponsored by Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube or any other social media platform. You may use them to earn additional entries, but you are not required to use them to enter. None of these social media channels are responsible if you don’t win.
- No purchase is ever necessary to win a Jersey Family Fun prize in an online contest.
- Chances of winning are dependent entirely on the number of eligible entries received.
- We will pick 1 winner. The winner will receive a Goldfish Swim School Jump Start Clinic package that includes the registration fee.
- The winners are responsible for his/her own travel costs to and from swimming lessons.
- This giveaway will run Sunday, June 9, 2019 to Sunday, June 23, 2019 at midnight. The winner will be announced shortly after that. Make sure you have left us your email address. You will have 24 hours to claim your prize by emailing us back your name to Melanie. All prizes not claimed will either remain with the company sponsor or Jersey Family Fun to be used at a later date.
- Once all entries have been validated, we will use Rafflecopter to select a winner. View our how to use Rafflecopter video here.
- Winners agree to provide contact and shipping information to Jersey Family Fun and/or the giveaway sponsor, including full name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Unless otherwise stated, giveaways and contests are only available to residents in the United States. Unless stated otherwise ticket and giftcard prizes are only valid in New Jersey and for specific dates/performances. Void where prohibited by law.
- After you’ve entered here be sure to check out our other current giveaways.
You can begin entering on or after Sunday, June 9, 2019.
a Rafflecopter giveaway