In full disclosure, this is a sponsored post through Massive Sway on behalf of Minute Rice. We appreciate their support of Jersey Family Fun that allows us to share meal and snack ideas we think your family will enjoy.
Rice. It’s one of those foods that as a gluten-free mamma I eat a lot. We either have it plain, with spices added, or as my kids like it flavored with chicken broth. As much as I enjoy rice though I was getting a bit bored. I hadn’t thought about how I could think outside the box….
I was challenged by Minute® Rice to do just that. Minute® Rice invited bloggers to not only introduce their Minute® Rice varieties: Minute® White Rice, Minute® Whole Grain Brown Rice, Minute ® Multi-Grain Medley to our readers, but also create a new rice recipe that only takes minutes to make.
To get us started we were invited to No Sleep Til College blogger, Erica Voll’s house to try out some Minute® Rice recipes. These blogger-created recipes were amazing. You may remember me posting on Facebook about the hard time I was having deciding a favorite. These dishes definitely got my wanna-be foodie inspired.
Blogger-created Minute® Rice Recipes We tried
- Horchata recipe from Food, Folks, and Fun
- Easy Arancini Rice Balls recipe from Mess For Less (not gluten-free)
- Brown Rice, Kale, Roasted Tomato, & Feta Salad recipe from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
- Blueberry Basil Rice Salad recipe from Recipe Runner
- Summer Vegetable & Rotisserie Chicken Rice Bake recipe from Layers of Happiness
What inspired me most though was our Iron Chef competition. Team Jersey battled Team Aloha to see who would reign supreme in the battle for the best rice dish.
Though the competition was tough, Team Jersey with local bloggers Larisha from We’re Parents, Miranda from Lemons and Laughs, and Melissa from The Farm Girls Gab came out victorious with our Fruit Medley Rice dish. It was a combination of baked chicken, rice, fruit, honey, and chopped nuts.
I had never considered mixing fruit with rice before. The combination was too delicious to ignore. I knew that I needed to incorporate it into my own unique Minute® Rice recipe. As I thought about summer, New Jersey, and quick rice recipes I could make it came to me. I wanted to create an ice cream-inspired recipe, The Very Berry Rice Sundae was born.
Very Berry Rice Sundae Recipe Ingredients
- Uncooked Minute® Rice, any variety we used white rice, 1/2 cup per serving
- Strawberries, small handful per serving
- Blueberries, small handful per serving
- Other berries as desired
- Granola and or chopped nuts, tablespoon per serving
- Cherries, 1 per serving
- Honey, 1 teaspoon/tablespoon per serving
Steps to Make Very Berry Rice Sundae Recipe
- Cook the rice according to the package directions.
- While the rice is cooking cut your strawberries and any other large berries into bite-size pieces.
- Drain rice if needed.
- Gently blend rice, strawberries, blueberries, and other berries together in a bowl.
- Using an ice cream scooper place rice into each serving dish.
- Drizzle the honey over each rice sundae.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts and granola over each rice sundae if desired.
- Top with a cherry!
Voila! You have a Very Berry Rice Sundae, perfect for a quick and easy snack or side dish. Just like other Minute® Rice recipes, it only takes minutes to make your family something healthy to eat. And with that only two questions remain.
Will you eat it with a spoon or fork?
Where will you go with all your ‘extra’ minutes this summer that aren’t being spent in the kitchen?