In full disclosure this is not a sponsored post.
Deciding on taking the kids to see the Mummer’s Parade?
It can be hard trying to get your kids together and go out in the cold to see the Mummers Parade. You probably have had a million questions and that’s why you haven’t ever tried going:
What will you need? What don’t you need? Are there bathrooms? Is it safe? How much is this really going to cost me? Do I need chairs? How can I get there? Well, I’ll answer these questions and hopefully make your trip a little easier and help you make some special new New Year’s Day memories in the process with these tips for taking the kids to the Mummer’s Parade in Philly.
Where is the Mummer’s Parade?
The Mummer’s Parade takes place in Philly on Broad Street & JFK Boulevard on January 1st at 10am.
When is the Mummer’s Parade:
January 1st at 10am
How much does it cost to see the Mummer’s Parade?
The Mummer’s Parade is free to see when they start on Broad Street. You get to see all the behind the scenes of The Mummers. You can also watch them practice their shows before they get judged OR you can pay $20 a person to see them perform to the judges and sit on bleachers.
Tips for Taking the Kids to the Mummer’s Parade in Philadelphia:
- Bring cash you never know when you may need it.
- There are port-a-potties but they are not clean with how many people there will be, there is limited hand sanitizer and limited toilet paper.
- You’re best bet is to find a close by restaurant and get a bite to eat and use their restroom then, we love to get pizza around noon and then finish watching the parade. Most places will not let you use restroom without a purchase.
- Bring a stroller for your little one.
- Bring lots of blankets. January is a very cold month. Dress warmly. Even if your little one is capable of walking it may help with all the extra coats, and blankets you may want to bring.
- There are some benches in the area where you do not pay. However they are very limited so come early to assure a spot.
- Riding on someone’s shoulders is always fun for children so don’t fret if you don’t have a seat.
- The Mummers do throw out candy from time to time which is fun.
- Some of the Mummers in the parade will give your children beads, see if you can get colors from each different Mummer family.
- Try to stay in a group, go with other families, this is New Year’s Day after all. People are having fun! Remember to pay close attention to your surroundings at all times. It’s day light out and there are ample amounts of security and police patrolling area to make you feel safe.
- Have fun. Take loads of pictures. The individuals that do this love what they do and it has been a family tradition for them for many generations.