The Loop Playground is another one of those playgrounds that we accidently discovered. We were visiting the Trailside Nature Center and as we explored the property and the hiking trails, we stumbled upon the Loop Playground. We couldn’t help ourselves. We had to stop and play. As it turned out Melanie had visited this Mountainside playground first and blogged about it here in 2014. With our visit we decided to take more pictures, create a video, and expand on what we had to say about this amazing and fun North Jersey playground.
The Loop Playground in Mountainside
The Loop Playground is located, behind the Trailside Nature Center, at W.R. Tracey Road in Mountainside. Free street parking for this Union County playground is available right along the street in front of the playgrounds.
We know parents want to know what kind of playground equipment the Loop Playground offers. From swings to climbing structures, slides to benches, we help you get to know the Loop Playground through our details, pictures and video below.
What you need to know about the Loop Playground
The entire playground area is surrounded by open grassy fields for the kids to run, and also has a paved path that winds around the whole park. Before we get into what the Loop Playground offers, first take a look at our video tour of this Mountainside playground in Union County.
What are the playground hours?
At this time, we’re unable to find any information about the Loop Playground hours. We believe, like most parks, it’s open from dawn to dusk.
Do the Loop Playgrounds have bathrooms?
Yes, there are bathrooms available.
Does the playground have tables and pavilions?
Yes, there was a pavilion at the Loop Playground with several tables. There are also benches around the playgrounds.
Is shade available?
There is shade underneath the playground climbing structures. There is also some shade provided by the trees that are on outside of the playground area and a nearby gazebo.
The Loop Playground equipment
The Loop Playground equipment includes 2 playground structures and multiple ways for kids to climb, play, and spin. The entire playground area is not fenced in and has wood mulch as ground cover.
The First Playground area
The first playground area is geared towards kids ages 5-12 years old, though my teenagers did enjoy it too.
- Rock formation for climbing
- Climbing Ladders
- Rope Climbing Wall
- Rock Climbing Wall
- Stepping Pods
- Rope Bridge
- Sliding Tunnels
- Activity areas
- 6 traditional swings
The Second Loop Playground Area
The second play area is primarily for preschoolers and younger kids.
- 4 Baby Swings
- 2 Special Needs Swings
- Stepping pods
- Steering Wheels
- Handicap-accessible platforms
- Bongo Drums
- Activity Walls
- Rock Climbing Walls
- Monkey Bar Rings
Between the Loop Playground area
Between the two playgrounds children can cool off on the sprayground. There are two large flowers that spray a mist of water to help kids cool off.
3 Reasons New Jersey families love The Loop Playground
- The Loop is tucked away in the Watchung Reservation which is a great place to spend a day! With Trailside Nature Center a short walk away, lots of trails and things to discover at the Reservation you can expect to spend a long time here.
- The playground structures are new, plastic and offer a lot of opportunity to climb and crawl. The designers put some thought into making the structures with a nature theme, to better blend into the surroundings. They look like they were carved from wood.
- Too hot to play long? There’s a large flower there that appears to sprinkle water on you when you push a button! There’s a shaded gazebo between the two playground areas also, and a sign with prices for ice cream indicates that there’s a seasonal snack stand as well.
See more Loop Playground photos in our Facebook Gallery.
Here are more Union County Playgrounds to visit
Want to find more fun places to play in New Jersey? Visit our New Jersey Parks & Playground listing.
Connect with local families in our New Jersey Families with Jersey Family Fun Facebook Community.