There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favorite book. –Marcel Proust
Oh how I love to look over at my boys and see them reading. It happens on car rides to new and old places to explore. It happens in hotel rooms. It happens on lazy afternoons in the house and it happens if we are stuck somewhere waiting. Take away the electronics (which I do often) and my boys gravitate towards a book. It fills me with joy to see how much they love reading. Each book, each story takes them to a new place, helps them learn something new, or even gives them something to talk about together. What mom doesn’t appreciate that?
My boys read comic books, graphic novels, chapter books, gaming guides, encyclopedia-type books… they will read and devour it all. We have books everywhere … in both cars, in the boys’ bedrooms, and in every room of the house. I don’t mind. My husband and I do what we can to encourage our kids to read. And yes, we can’t walk into a book store, a library, or even the school book fair without coming back out with a bunch of new books to read.
We know that we are very fortunate. Many authors and book publicists will send us children books to review. We’ve amassed quite a collection, which in part inspired this giveaway. One of my missions with Jersey Family Fun has been to always give back especially to those who have supported us. We want to help your kids love reading as much as my boys do and we want to help get books into their hands. We will do that two different ways this summer. First, we’ll take books from our own home library to each of our Playdates in the Park for a Summer Reading Book Swap. Bring a book. Take a book. Get your kids reading this summer. We’ll also host this Great Big Book Giveaway where 2 children will win a great big bag of books.
About our Great Big Book Giveaway
This Jersey Family Fun Great Big Book Giveaway will be unlike any giveaway we’ve ever held before. First, it will be the longest giveaway we’ve run on our site. We’re tying it into our Summer Reading Book Swap being held at our Playdates in the Park. We will be meeting kids and their families all summer long and as we do we want to encourage kids to read and to keep reading all summer. When families participate in our Summer Reading Book Swap they can earn extra entries into our Great Big Book Giveaway. Since we have 9 Playdates in the Park, we’ll keep this giveaway open until the last of our playdates.
Second, by running our Great Big Book Giveaway all summer we can keep making the prize bigger and better. Yes, each time we have an opportunity to work with a book publisher or author who supports us with books for our Playdates in the Park and this giveaway, the list of books in the Big Bag of Books prizes will grow. You are going to want to come back to this post over and over to see how many new books we are adding to the prizes. You also have ways to enter this giveaway each day.
Finally, we expect these prizes, our Big Bag of Books to get very heavy. As a small mom-owned business, shipping is going to get cost prohibitive. Plus, where’s the fun in shipping a big box of books? We want to meet our winners! Therefore, when the winners are picked we’ll work with them to determine a day and time we can surprise their child with a big bag of books. We’ll make you, our readers a part of the action by recording it live for Facebook.
Our Great Big Book Giveaway Supporters
Access to books and the encouragement of the habit of reading: these two things are the first and most necessary steps in education and librarians, teachers and parents all over the country know it. It is our children’s right and it is also our best hope and their best hope for the future. –Michael Morpurgo
We are helping with that access to books and so are our sponsors who either knowingly or as a result of sending us books to review have helped to support our first annual Great Big Book Giveaway.
- Scholastic Book Fairs – Scholastic Book Fairs has always supported our efforts to get books into the hands of kids. Did you know that Scholastic Books works with the Kids in Need Foundation, Reader to Reader, and the National Center for Families Learning to distribute books to kids in some of the most disadvantaged areas and circumstances in the country? Scholastic Book Fairs believes strongly in charitable giving, and every year they donate a million dollars’ worth of books to kids in need via established partnerships with these three organizations. When I shared what we were doing and asked them to participate, they jumped right on board. Scholastic Book Fairs provided us with 25 books, 2 Scholastic Book bags, and some other goodies for our Summer Reading Book Swap and this giveaway. You can read more about the prizes below. You can learn more about Scholastic Book Fairs, how to find a book fair near you, and how to get involved with your school’s book fair at their website, scholastic.com/bookfairs.
- As additional sponsors come on board, we’ll share details here. If you have are a book publicist or children’s book author that wants to participate please contact us at [email protected].
“Fill your house with stacks of books, in all the crannies and all the nooks.” — Dr. Seuss
That’s just what we aim to to with our Great Big Book Giveaway. We want to help your child start to fill their home with stacks and stacks of books. Here’s some of the books we are giving away to do just that.
In our Big Bag of Books for Elementary Students (Ages 5-11)All of these books will be packaged together in a great Scholastic Books bag. Scholastic Book Fairs also included some other fun surprises in the bag.
Books for Elementary Students provided by Scholastic Books
- Duck, Duck, Goose by Tad Hills
- I Don’t Want to be a Frog by Dev Petty
- Strictly No Elephants by Lisa Mantchev
- Pig the Winner by Aaron Blabey
- B. Bear and Lolly, Catch That Cookie by A. A. Livingston
- Nelly Gnu and Daddy Too by Anna Dewdney
- If you Give a Mouse a Brownie by Laura Numeroff
- Mama’s Business Trip: Bunny’s Staycation by Lori Richmond
- Octupuses One to Ten by Ellen Jackson
- Bad Kitty Takes the Test by Nick Bruel
- Pokemon Alola Region Adventure Guide
- There was an Old Pirate who Swallowed a Map by Lucille Colandro
- Pete the Cat and the Lost Tooth by James Dean
- You Can Do It Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen
Additional Books that will be included in the Big Bag of Books for Elementary Students
- Fairy Mom and Me by Sophie Kinsella
- Bonus Mom! Bonus Dad! by Justin and Monique Honaman
- The Little Fawn and her Stolen Spots by Jordyn Glaser
- How to Babysit a Grandma by Jean Reagan
- How to Raise a Mom by Jean Reagan
- Grandma’s Purse by Vanessa Brantley-Newton
- What Mommies Like by Judy Carey Nevin
- Hugga Bugga Love by Diane Ohanesian
- Sports Illustrated Kids: My First Book of Baseball, Mostly Everything Explained about the Game
- Sports Illustrated Kids: My First Book of Hockey, Mostly Everything Explained about the Game
- With my Daddy, A Book of Love and Family by Jo Witek
Big Bag of Books for Middle School Students (Ages 10-14)
All of these books for middle school students will be packaged together in a great Scholastic Books bag. Scholastic Book Fairs also included some other fun surprises in this bag as well.
Books for Middle School Students provided by Scholastic Books
- The Bad Guys in Attack of the Zittens by Aaron Blabey
- G. I. Dogs Prisoner of War by Laurie Calkhoven
- Upside Down Magic Dragon Overnight by Sarah Mlynowski, Lauren Myracle, and Emily Jenkins
- Ranger in Time D-Day: Battle on the Beach by Kate Messner
- I Survived: The Children’s Blizzard 1888 by Lauren Tarshis
- My Big Fat Zombie Goldfish: Any Fin in Possible by Mo O’ Hara
- Dolphin Summer by Catherine Hapka
- American Girl: Luciana by Erin Teagan
- Dog Man and Cat Kid by Dav Pilkey
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Getaway by Jeff Kinney
- Big Nate: What’s a Little Noogie Between Friends by Lincoln Peirce
- Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So-Secret Crush Catastrophe by Rachel Renee-Russell
- DC Comics Secret Hero Society: Detention of Doom by Derek Fridolfs
- Sunny Side Up by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm
Additional Books that will be included in the Big Bag of Books for Middle School Students
- Sports Illustrated Kids: Big Book of Who Baseball
- Sports Illustrated Kids: Baseball Then to Wow
- Sports Illustrated Kids: Hockey Then to Wow
- Sports Illustrated: Hockey’s Greatest, The Goaltenders, the Defensemen, the Coaches, the Enforcers, the Games, the Franchises
One benefit of summer was that each day we had more light to read by. – Jeannette Walls
Enjoy those long summer days to read with your kids. We wish you all good luck in our Great Big Book Giveaway.
Are you ready to enter to win Jersey Family Fun’s Great Big Book Giveaway?
Jersey Family Fun Giveaways and Contests are subject to the following rules and conditions:
- Unless otherwise stated, entrants can earn a free entry by checking the first free entry box.
- You may earn additional entries by following the directions in the giveaway box on the Jersey Family Fun. Entries that do not follow the directions, while appreciated, will not be valid or count as meeting the requirement. Comments left after the giveaway/contest has closed will not be valid toward the contest.
- Contact information is a requirement for entry: name and a valid email address is required. Other non-personal information may be required/requested for entry. This information will not be shared with the giveaway sponsor unless it is stated in the contest/giveaway blog post itself.
- Our giveaways/contests are by no means sponsored by Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube or any other social media platform. You may use them to earn additional entries, but you are not required to use them to enter. None of these social media channels are responsible if you don’t win.
- You must live in New Jersey to be able to participate.
- No purchase is ever necessary to win a Jersey Family Fun prize in an online contest.
- Chances of winning are dependent entirely on the number of eligible entries received.
- We will pick 2 winners. One winner will win the big bag of books for elementary students. One winner will win the big bag of books for middle schoolers.
- The Jersey Family Fun Big Book giveaway will run from Tuesday, June 12, 2018, until midnight Friday, August 17, 2018.
- The winner will be announced Saturday, August 18, 2018. You will have 24 hours to claim your prize by emailing us back your name and mailing address to Melanie.
- Once all entries have been validated, we will use Rafflecopter to select a winner. View our how to use Rafflecopter video here.
- Winners agree to provide contact and home address information to Jersey Family Fun and/or the giveaway sponsor, including full name, address, phone number, and email address. Jersey Family Fun will deliver the prize to the winner’s home address.
- This giveaway is only available to residents in New Jersey. Void where prohibited by law.
This giveaway starts Tuesday, June 12 and ends Friday, August 17, 2018.