This post about a Franklin Institute Membership was sponsored by the Franklin Institute. We appreciate their support of Jersey Family Fun that allows us to share with families information about things to do in Philadelphia and giftable experiences in Philadelphia that we think your family may enjoy.
Are your children amazed by science? I know that my two children are obsessed with science. We are constantly reading books about science and doing experiments at home. I was looking for a great place to take them so they could have a hands on experience with many of the science concepts they love and I found the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.
About The Franklin Institute, a science museum in Philadelphia.
Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and premier centers of science education and development in the country. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
The Franklin Institute has a variety of exhibitions that explore many different concepts. There are places to learn about your brain, virtual reality, trains, and more!
A look at some of our favorite The Franklin Institute Exhibits
The Train Factory
- Train lover in the house? This is a must see stop on your Franklin Institute visit. My kindergartener loved being the train conductor on our train ride. (There is a huge old-time Baldwin 60000 locomotive, which moves a few feet back and forth. It’s just what I imagined train rides must have been like in their prime.) Later we followed the clues to solve the mystery of the train wreck.
The Amazing Machine
- Here visitors can explore how gears, cams, pulleys and such all work together in machines of every size. There are many opportunities to try out the different machines. They are great for the older kids.
Franklin Air Show
- Here Jenn’s kids took an Air Force Jet out for a test drive and learned about making things fly. They also checked out the 4D Flight Simulator. They were turning in every direction.
The Giant Heart
- This is probably the most well-known exhibit of the Franklin Institute. It has earned its hype. It was quite awe-inspiring to be able to walk through the heart and hear it beat as ours does. While you explore the surrounding exhibits your children will get a real feel for how their body works.
- In the Electricity area are some cool exhibits where kids can use their bodies and parent’s their cell phones to learn about electricity. Power up the sustainable dance floor, complete a power circuit with your body; both fun stops in this area.
- Another great exhibit, learn more about The Brain exhibit in this article, Your Brain at The Franklin Institute.
- In this area, you can explore the science behind sports while also getting some physical activity. Check out Jenn’s 10 Ways our Family Experiences the Franklin Institute SportsZone.
- Our favorite part of the institute was the planetarium. The show is included in admission and definitely worth checking out. My daughter loves space and wants to be an astronomer when she grows up so this was an amazing experience for her.
Vikings: Beyond the Legend ~ A temporary exhibit at The Franklin Institute
Take a journey inside one of the most significant archaeological discoveries in history.
Vikings: Beyond the Legend, an interactive exhibition that explores the people, traditions, and influence of the legendary Viking Age, made its North American debut at The Franklin Institute this past October. It will remain there until March 2019.
The exhibition reveals fresh insights through the latest archaeological discoveries that show the evolution of Vikings, providing a more accurate portrayal of them as skilled artisans, farmers, traders, and explorers who made a significant impact on our modern world. Featuring more than 600 treasured artifacts on loan from the National Museum of Denmark in Copenhagen, dramatic ship reconstructions, interactive experiences, striking multimedia, and all-new augmented reality—the exhibit takes visitors beyond the legend to convey the true story of the voyagers who set sail from Scandinavia centuries ago.
Too Much to Do in Just One Visit
There is so much fun to be had at the Franklin Institute that you are definitely going to want to keep going back. Buying a Franklin Institute membership is the best way to make sure you can have fun at the Franklin Institute all year.
8 Reasons to Gift a Franklin Institute Membership
Some of the benefits that members get include:
- For less than the price of 2 family visits, you can have a Franklin Institute membership for your family.
- Unlimited Admission to the museum, Fels Planetarium, and the SkyBike
- Use their NEW mobile app and enjoy the flexibility of always having your membership card at your fingertips
- Exclusive Discounts to:
- Tuttleman IMAX® and Franklin 3D Theater films
- Ticketed Special Exhibitions
- Terracotta Warriors of the First Emperor – $10/Member Adult and Children
- Complimentary ticketing benefits for ticketed special exhibits available at the Membership Circle and Benefactor levels
- Franklin Institute parking garage
- Sci-Store Purchases
- Night Skies in the Observatory
- Science After Hours — 21+ Only
- Discovery Camp, Camp-In, and Workshops
- Utilize your benefit of NO SERVICE FEES and secure your tickets in advance for special exhibitions.
- Invitations to events and lectures
- Reciprocal Admission to more than 250 ASTC Science Museums (restrictions apply)
- Tax deductibility benefits
To learn more about The Franklin Institute membership benefits visit their page at www.fi.edu/explore-membership.
Franklin Institute Family Membership
There are several membership options to choose from that come with added benefits. Franklin Institute Family Memberships start at $149. You can learn more about the membership levels here.
The Franklin Institute is located at 222 North 20th St in Philadelphia. The museum is open daily from 9:30-5:00.
Ready to win a Franklin Institute Family Membership?
Jersey Family Fun’s The Franklin Institute Family Membership Giveaway Details
Jersey Family Fun Giveaways and Contests are subject to the following rules and conditions:
- Unless otherwise stated, entrants can earn a free entry by checking the first free entry box.
- You may earn an additional entry by leaving one comment on the Jersey Family Fun giveaway/contest blog post, that answers the question being asked during the timeframe of the contest. Comments that do not answer the question, while appreciated, will not be valid or count as meeting the requirement. Comments left after the giveaway/contest has closed will not be valid toward the contest.
- Contact information is a requirement for entry: name and a valid email address is required. Other non-personal information may be required/requested for entry. This information will not be shared with the giveaway sponsor unless it is stated in the contest/giveaway blog post itself.
- Our giveaways/contests are by no means sponsored by Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube or any other social media platform. You may use them to earn additional entries, but you are not required to use them to enter. None of these social media channels are responsible if you don’t win.
- No purchase is ever necessary to win a Jersey Family Fun prize in an online contest.
- Chances of winning are dependent entirely on the number of eligible entries received.
- The Franklin Institute is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- We will pick 1 winner. The winner will receive 1 Franklin Institute Family Membership.
- The winners are responsible for his/her own travel costs and parking fees during an event.
- This giveaway will end Thursday, December 6, 2018 at midnight. The winner will be announced shortly after that. Make sure you have left us your email address. You will have 24 hours to claim your tickets by emailing us back your name to Melanie. All prizes not claimed will either remain with the company sponsor or Jersey Family Fun to be used at a later date. We will make every effort to get the tickets to you by Christmas, but we can not make any guarantees.
- Once all entries have been validated, we will use Rafflecopter to select a winner. View our how to use Rafflecopter video here.
- Winners agree to provide contact and shipping information to Jersey Family Fun and/or the giveaway sponsor, including full name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Unless otherwise stated, giveaways and contests are only available to residents in the United States. Unless stated otherwise ticket and giftcard prizes are only valid in New Jersey and for specific dates/performances. Void where prohibited by law.
- After you’ve entered here be sure to check out our other current giveaways.