When I was a little kid, we did not start Christmas until Thanksgiving was done, cleaned up, and put away. Maybe that meant I loved Thanksgiving because it was the last obstacle to Christmas, but still, I LOVED Thanksgiving! Time with family, lots of yummy food (I still could eat 4 bowls of mashed potatoes), and a reminder to be thankful for all we have. As an adult I haven’t been able to hold Christmas back until Thanksgiving passes, but my family still appreciates and celebrates Thanksgiving for all its own qualities.
Even if your kids don’t like the Thanksgiving foods (like mine), there are still plenty of ways to experience the warm feeling of Thanksgiving spirit that will make everyone smile! Here are some of our favorite ways to have Thanksgiving Family Fun – scroll down to find resources for them:
- Watch Thanksgiving TV specials (and the parades!)
- Read Thanksgiving books
- Bake or cook up some Thanksgiving treats
- Plan a Thanksgiving feast for kids
- Try some Thanksgiving crafts and games
7 Ideas for Thanksgiving Family Fun with kids
Watch Thanksgiving specials on television!
Thanksgiving may be a less popular holiday for movies and television for kids, but don’t forget about A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, This is America, Charlie Brown and A Winnie the Pooh Thanksgiving from 1998.
- Nickelodeon will premiere a special Thankgiving episode of The Loud House on November 12.
- Tune in November 21 for special episodes of Paw Patrol and Butterbean’s Cafe.
Many television sitcoms and dramas had Thanksgiving episodes but our favorite is the parade on Thanksgiving Day. Settle in your comfy spot for the best viewing of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade – the floats, balloons and performances are a great way to start the Thanksgiving festivities.
Read children’s books about Thanksgiving.
Over the years we’ve read a few Thanksgiving books with our kids. Take a look at our reviews of children’s books about Thanksgiving.
- Thanksgiving At Our House
- Thanksgiving Is For Giving Thanks
- The Night Before Thanksgiving
- Cranberry Thanksgiving
- The Perfect Thanksgiving
- Thelonius Turkey Lives!
- Milly and the Macy’s Parade
Practice Thankfulness and Kindness Throughout the Month
Plan a Thanksgiving Day feast for kids with these tips
Hosting or just bringing a dish? Need some tips for new Thanksgiving traditions? We can help you with your celebration for the day!Turkey sugar cookies one of my go to Thanksgiving-inspired snack ideas.
Consider visiting the biggest Thanksgiving Day event in our region, or a more local Thanksgiving Day themed event for kids.
New Jersey Thanksgiving Day events for kids
To have your New Jersey Thanksgiving Day event advertised on this listing, please contact Jenniferauer@jerseyfamilyfun.com.
- Barnes and Noble Story Time, Bear Says Thanks
- Hide and Seek Turkey Craft at Lakeshore Learning
- Thanksgiving Themed Craft at Hamilton Mall Kids Club
- 19th Century Day of Thanks at Historical Village at Allaire
- Thanksgiving Time at Historic Kearney House in Alpine
Create Thanksgiving Crafts to get into the spirit
- Make a Thankful Tree
- How to create Turkey Handprint Crafts
- Directions to make a Handmade Turkey
- A quick printable Thanksgiving Day craft ~ Quick, Hide the Turkey!
- Put the hands to good use making Salt Dough Turkey Handprints
Play some fun Thanksgiving Day games for the kids