The history of Soupy Island is what makes Soupy Island a special place to go. It was a place for children to go during the Great Depression. Kids could still have fun while everything else was going on, ride some rides, and a get a free bowl of soup. The same stands true today. Children from all walks of life can come to Soupy Island to get some free family fun, and a free bowl of soup and a milk.
What Soupy Island has to offer:
- Tons of swing sets
- Indoor working bathroom facilities
- Covered picnic tables
- Tire jungle gym area
- Small playground
- Old fashioned carousal
- Pool that is 6-feet deep
- Kiddie wadding pool 2 feet deep
- Giant slide bring wax paper or they will provide some to go more quickly
When we went to Soupy Island I had never been on a carousal as fast as this one! It was hand-cranked by someone and it played music. During the ride you can view pictures of all different cartoon characters that someone had painted over the years.
Soupy Island is completely free and run by volunteers over the summer. My son has even seen one of his school teachers there helping out. The children loved the smaller pool. They could run and splash through-out it. When it was time for lunch each of the children got a bowl of alphabet soup with chunks of carrots, potatoes, and chicken, a pint of chocolate milk, and some graham crackers. It was a great treat because I didn’t have to worry about packing a lunch, buying lunch, or trying to find a debit machine. It was like a park, playground, and small amusement park all in one and completely free.
My children have been begging me since last summer to bring them again. Soupy Island is only open for 6 weeks after July 4th so don’t forget to schedule this sometime during your summer fun. Listed below you will find a picture with the detailed operational schedule of the pool and facilities, because they are only open during certain time periods during the day. We went on a less crowded day. We went when it was overcast and drizzling there were only a few people in the park. Be sure to call ahead of time to make sure the park is still open despite in-climate weather.
Soupy Island Address:
Soupy Island is located at 1718 Front St. West Deptford, New Jersey 08086
Soupy Island Hours of Operation:
- It is open for 6 weeks after the 4th of July on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
- Soupy Island will close for the season on August 10, 2017.
The schedule of operation as updated for 2017:
- Tuesdays (for children 8-years and under only, no teenagers) 9:30 to 3 pm (pool closes at 1:45 pm and does not re-open)
- Wednesday (for children 12-years and under only, no teenagers) 9:30 to 4 pm
- Thursdays (for children 12-years and under only, no teenagers) 9:30 to 4 pm
For large groups, please call ahead of time to 856-845-2430.