This post was sponsored by the Tuckerton Seaport who provided us with tickets,
meals, and payment for this article. Our visit was arranged by Real Mom Media. We
appreciate their support of Jersey Family Fun that allows us to share with families
information about family attractions we think their family may enjoy.
Did you catch our pictures on Facebook when we visited Tuckerton Seaport for the Pirates & Privateer Festival? Did you see our video of the live cannon demonstration?
You know we love the Tuckerton Seaport. Every visit there is a new reason to have fun and presents new things to learn. The Pirate & Privateers Festival was no different. My boys and I learned 7 new pirate facts while walking among and battling with the pirates that day.
7 Things I Learned about Pirates at the Tuckerton Seaport
- Children don’t mind walking the plank.
- Pirates use whatever they have available to make weapons, whether that’s a true pirate using trash or shrapnel to fill the cannon or a child using cardboard and aluminum foil to make a dagger.
- Pirates dressed in many layers of clothing.
- Cannons came in a few different sizes and the smallest ones were the most popular. (See the video below for more information about the cannons.)
- Children and women often helped in the cannon preparations.
- Pirates attacking a ship actually didn’t want to sink it. At least not right away. Most of the time the attack was geared at temporarily disabling the ship long enough for them to get on board to steal their treasures.
- The most sought after items by pirates were food, water, and medical supplies. It wasn’t all about the treasure chest of gold coins. ;-)
View more of our Tuckerton Seaport photos in our Facebook Gallery.
In full disclosure this post is being sponsored by Tuckerton Seaport, who is providing Jersey Family Fun with tickets to visit Tuckerton and payment for this article, but as always all opinions are our own.