Have you been to Liberty Science Center’s Mythbusters exhibit yet? We had so much fun there testing out so many of the television show’s experiments. Liberty Science Center has expanded their Mythbusters exhibit with a magical interactive additions! For a limited time, starting Saturday, April 8, 2017 and continuing for the week, you can challenge some fairy tale myths with “Once Upon a Myth“.
I was treated to a sneak peek of one of the fun events coming with the Once Upon a Myth public opening on April 8th – the Rapunzel Challenge! We watched as a stuntman attempted to climb Rapunzel’s 70 foot long hair made of 2100 thin strands of aluminum. Check out our Facebook Live video below and see if climbing the hair is a myth or a reality!
Watch for yourself on Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 12 pm and 3 pm as the prince climbs again – and we think he’s going to make it to the top!
Once Upon a Myth activities at the Liberty Science Center
Of course there’s more to Once Upon a Myth than watching the prince climb. Like the rest of Liberty Science Center, you’re encouraged to try out these myths yourself with these 7 interactive activities.
- Let Down Your Hair – Rapunzel’s hair can stand a lot of weight, but just how much weight? Test the strength of a real strand of human hair in this hands-on experiment.
- Putting Humpty Dumpty Together Again – All the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t put Humpty back together, but maybe you can! Piece together giant foam eggs and see if you can make Humpty Dumpty whole again.
- Rumpelstiltskin’s Golden Task – Just like Rumpelstiltskin, use a spinning wheel to see if you can turn straw into gold. Afterward, watch an amazing demonstration where we use chemistry to turn pennies into gold.
- When I See an Elephant Fly – Use steel wire and shrink wrap to create your own elephant ears, Dumbo-style. Afterward, place your big ears on toy elephants. Does that make them fly better?
- The Tortoise’s Challenge – Slow and steady wins the race! Come cheer on the tortoises and turtles from our Eat and Be Eaten gallery and see if they can beat the time previously set by a hare.
- Not-So-Sweet Peas – In the style of Princess and the Pea, you’re invited to climb a stack of mattresses and see if you can feel the pea underneath. Just how big does a pea need to be in order to feel it?
- Goldilocks and the Three Beds – Channel your inner Goldilocks and test out one of three different mattresses. Then cast your vote: too soft, too hard, or just right?
Once Upon a Myth comes to Liberty Science Center just in time for spring break! Visit any day from April 8-19 and be sure to leave time to experience all Liberty Science Center has to offer! Learn about communication, engineering, animals and more, with something for all ages. Liberty Science Center is a perfect spot to spend a memorable day off with the family.
Check out all our past visits to Liberty Science Center in these Liberty Science Center blog posts!
Liberty Science Center is at 222 Jersey City Boulevard, Jersey City. Admission prices begin at $18.75. Hours are Monday-Friday 9 AM – 4 PM, Saturday and Sunday 9 AM – 5:30 PM.