Take a Hike – And So Much More!
June 2nd is National Trails Day (see their website here!) and New Jersey is a great place to participate! Some may think of hiking as a strenuous activity in need of special gear and lots of time. Not the case! Many New Jersey trails are of all different skill levels, and even paved to accommodate bikes and strollers. Getting outside has plenty of benefits!
- Screen free family time
- Plenty of nature observation
- Healthy exercise
Take the opportunity that New Jersey National Trails Day events provide, and take that first step to getting outside. There’s no length you must hike, and as long as you’re wearing comfortable and sturdy shoes, you have all the gear you need. You may also need sunscreen and bug spray of course, and don’t forget your camera!
National Trails Day is always the first Saturday in June. It is organized by the American Hiking Society as as of May 8, there were more than 60 New Jersey National Trails Day Events. Watch our post for updates!
Some of the family friendly New Jersey National Trails Day Events:
- Secaucus, Walk with the Mayor. Walk Mill Creek Marsh with Mayor Michael Gonnelli.
- Cherry Hill, Join the Cherry Hill Environmental Board to improve the trails. Activities include a nature talk, trail maintenance, trail improvements, picking up trash, and removing invasive species. Come by yourself, bring friends, family or your organization. You will make a difference!
- Gladstone, Betty Day at Raritan Headwaters. Honor the Raritan Headwaters Association’s Trailblazer, Betty Merck, on National Trails Day at Fairview Farm Wildlife Preserve. We’ll have activities all morning for kids and adults, including Bird Walks, Streamside Meditation, Making a Nature Journal, Stream Exploration and Kayaks in the Pond. Admission is $20 a carload and light refreshments will be available.
- Island Beach State Park, Island Beach Trail Day & Bonfire. The Friends of Island Beach State Park will be hosting Island Beach Trail Day on Saturday, June 2nd from 3:00pm – 5:00pm with a bonfire on the beach to follow. Pre registration required. Make it a complete family fun day and come down to the park before our event for hiking, bird watching, surf fishing, kayaking on the bay, hanging on the beach and many other park activities. Don’t forget your beach chairs or blankets, skewers and smore’s fixings for the bonfire on the beach!
- Princeton, Scavenger Hunt at Griggstown. The Franklin Township Trails Advisory Committee invites all people interested in trails to attend our National Trails Day event at Griggstown Grasslands Preserve. Adults and kids can participate in a scavenger hunt, while enjoying the beauty of the Preserve and learning about the importance of trails. Griggstown Grassland Preserve offers 5.4 miles of easy to moderate difficulty trails, with allowances for walking, snow-shoeing and dog-walking. We invite you to spend a day with us at this beautiful 447-acre Preserve, which is home to native species, rare birds, woodlands and meadows. For more infromation, contact Tara Kenyon, Land Preservation and Management Consultant, at Tara.Kenyon@twp.franklin.nj.us
- Franklin Lakes, Walk With The Mayor. Annual Nature Preserve Walk with Mayor Bivona.
- Mount Olive, National Trails Day at South Branch Preserve.Open House at our community garden and Preserve. Guided hike through Preserve at 10:00am. Garden tours, kids activities, free tree seedlings, refreshments.
- Deptford Township, Celebrate Tall Pines State Preserve’s Second Anniversary. 10AM-12PM volunteer invasive species removal project. 12PM-2PM pine cone bird feeder craft. 2PM guided nature walk at Tall Pines. All Day: National Trails Day Tall Pines Photo Share.
- Marlboro, Ice Cream and Walk with the Mayor. Celebrate National Trails Day and Ride or Stroll with Mayor Jonathan Hornik on the Henry Hudson Trail, the scenic and safe bike path in Marlboro Township. Experience the health and wellness benefits of this local greenway, as well as the sustainable value of this form of recreation and transportation. Bikers, trikers, walkers, babies in strollers, dogs on leashes, handicapped accessible, all are welcome. Gather after trail time to enjoy a complimentary refreshing Ice Cream treat donated by Mikey’s Ice Cream.
- Mountainside, National Trails Day at Trailside Nature Center. Themed Hikes (hikes last approximately 45 min – 1 hour): 12:30 Sensory Awareness – Investigate one of our many trails using yours senses of sight, sound, smell and touch. 1:30 Geocaching – Learn all about this popular outdoor recreational activity and have fun on a geocaching scavenger hunt. 2:30 Learn to Lead – Find out how to read trail blazes and take turns leading the group on one of our marked trails. 3:30 Birding 101 – Discover the basics of birding and how to use binoculars. Learn to identify local birds by sight and sound.
- Fair Haven, Fair Haven Fields Walk/Talk. Come learn about our Fair Haven Trails. Learn about animals and plant life you may see on our trails.
- Mahwah, New York – New Jersey National Trail Headquarters Open House. Headquarters Tours: 10 a.m. and 12 p.m: Take a guided tour of our historic headquarters at Darlington Schoolhouse and the surrounding grounds. Learn about the history of the Trail Conference while on the tour.
Looking for more kid friendly hiking? Check out our articles from hiking mom Victoria!