We’ve been sharing with you Martin Luther King Day of Service New Jersey events since 2012. These are great community service projects for families in New Jersey. Take a look at this year’s NJ Martin Luther King Day of Service projects.
What are you doing to help others?
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is Monday, January 20, 2020.
It’s a common joke that our national holidays lose their meanings and just become another reason for stores to have sales. It’s tempting (and sometimes necessary) to sleep in, turn on the television and relax, and let the day slide by.
If you’re looking for ways to involve your children in community service, spend this year’s Martin Luther King Day as a Martin Luther King Day of Service, a day on, not a day off!
Martin Luther King Day of Service
Martin Luther King Day became a national holiday in 1983, and in 1995 the Martin Luther King Day of Service was established. In 2014 and years after hundreds of thousands of Americans participated in the Martin Luther King Day of Service with food drives, pet supply drives, greeting card workshops, blood drives, community cleanups – all are community service and most can involve children!
If you can’t find a specific Martin Luther King Day of Service event, shop for a food drive, or clean up a park on your own or with a group of friends counts as well. For more information about Martin Luther King Jr., visit the Scholastic Martin Luther King Day site, partnered with the Corporation for National & Community Service.
15+ Martin Luther King Day of Service New Jersey Events
- The Volunteer Center of Burlington County will host a challenge on Monday January 20, 2020. Burlington County residents of all ages are invited to stop by the Burlington County Library (BCL) – Main Branch – 5 Pioneer Blvd., Westampton, NJ between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm to participate in the following service activities – food collection, animal supplies collection, collections for active military, card making and pet toy making.
- If you’re in Union County, sign up for one of the many Scotch Plains/Fanwood Martin Luther King Day of Service events. Events include making valentines for veterans, sandwiches for a food pantry and flower pots for hospice.
- Atlantic County families are invited to the New Day Family Success Center for MLK Day Celebration!
- The Princeton Arts Council will host a day of workshops, performances and discussions that is open to the public.
- Jersey Cares shares events such playing games with seniors, and school makeovers. Also search allforgood.org for more volunteer locations and opportunities. The Corporation for National & Community Service offers more as well!
- The Mission Continues Project in Newark will offer a service project on January 20. Check the website for more information.
- The First United Methodist Church of Hightstown offers service projects from 10 AM – 12 PM – writing cheerful notes, assembling care items and more. Registration requested.
- Sign up for a volunteer opportunity with West Windsor Arts. Join them for a day of service projects, speakers, music, and friends. Activities for the whole family. Donate goods in advance or bring them with you.
- Microsoft Stores in Freehold and Bridgewater will host an MLK Day event including an author chat, community art, food and networking.
- The Long Branch Library invites all Long Branch families to assist in a service project for the community. Refreshments will be served. For more information click here.
- Christus Lutheran Church in Camden will hold their annual celebration to honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr on Sunday January 19, 2020. This event is for ALL AGES! Kids, Teens, Individuals & Families.
- Get free admission at the Newark Museum of Art on January 20, 2020, and enjoy films, live performances, spoken word, family activities and interactive tours throughout the day. Registration requested.
- Head to Philadelphia for $5 admission at the National Constitution Center.
- Just want to spend the day appreciating some natural beauty? In honor of MLK Day, all national parks will be fee-free on January 20, 2020.! You can click over to see our listing of National Parks in New Jersey.
- Get outside for your day of service and make cards for hospital patients at Reeves Reed Arboretum in Summit from 9 AM – 12 PM on the 20th. Find out more details in this link.
- The Wall Township Intermediate School (2801 Allaire Road) will be accepting non perishable food, gently used clothing, prom dresses and tuxedos, diapers and wipes, gently used children’s books, pet supplies, women’s business wear and sports equipment as part of their Day of Service for Wall Township students. Find out more on their Facebook page.
- Warren County’s Northeast Branch Library will host a day of service on Saturday January 18. No registration is required, find out more in our calendar event.