Celebrate The Year of the Pig (Lunar New Year) with these Local Chinese New Year Events
Friday February 5, 2019 is Chinese New Year!
Maybe you don’t know how to celebrate Chinese New Year … well don’t miss out! It’s a fun, vibrant, 2 week long celebration and Jersey Family Fun is your resource for local Chinese New Year events all over New Jersey.
Before you start – know that 2019 is the year of the pig; it’s the year 4717 in the Lunar New Year. Chinese New Year animals take on a lot of significance in these events each year. Each year the dragon is an important part of Chinese New Year Celebrations. It symbolizes, strength, benevolence, strength and good fortune. Incorporate the dragon and the pig into your fun and find some Chinese New Year crafts your children can do to get them excited for the events.
Chinese New Year Events in New Jersey
Visit one of the following New Jersey libraries for Chinese New Year Events
Visit one of these other Chinese New Year Events in New Jersey
Celebrate the Chinese Lunar Year or Chinese New Year traditions at the Zoo or a Museum .. or even the arboretum!
- Reeves-Reed Arboretum, Summit, February 5, 1PM – 2 PM, $15/person non members. Come celebrate the Chinese New Year as we create crafts and enjoy stories commemorating the Year of the Pig! Registration is required. For more information visit their site here or call 908-273-8787.
- Cora Hartshorn Arboretum, Short Hills, January 27, 1 PM and 2 PM, $8/person. Join the CHA and the Chinese Association of Millburn-Short Hills as we shake off the winter blues, and celebrate the Lunar New Year by following our lion through the woods. Be prepared to make some noise as we welcome spring with games, trivia, crafts, and stories. For more information visit their site here or call 973-376-3587.
New York Chinese New Year Events
Visit one of these other Chinese New Year Events in New York
- China Institute, Manhattan, February 10, 11 AM, FREE. Kick off the Year of the Pig with China Institute’s signature New Year Celebration for families. The festival opens with a lion dance followed by New Year-themed workshops and activities including dumpling making, lantern-making, face painting, New Year treats, games, and a special music performance by the Stephanie Chou Trio. For more information visit their site here or call 212-744-8181.
- Museum of Chinese in America, Manhattan, February 16. Celebrate Chinese and Chinese American traditions and folk arts with zodiac themed arts & crafts, festive music and dance performances, teaching artist demonstrations, storytelling, and much more family fun! For more information visit their site here or call 855-955-MOCA.
Catch a Chinese New Year parade or fireworks!
No Chinese New Year parades that we could find in New Jersey, but head across the Hudson for the following:
- Manhattan Lunar New Year Parade, Sunday February 17, 1 PM, East Houston through Canal Street
- Chinatown NYC Lunar New Year Firecracker Ceremony, February 5, 11 AM, Grand and Chrystie Streets
We are updating as we find more Chinese New Year events, celebrations, parades, and festivals. Check back often!
Not ready to dive into Chinese New Year festivities? Start slow and take your family out for some dim sum or traditional Chinese food but be sure to crack open some fortune cookies.