New Jersey is opening back up and more than ever before there are stories to share and things to talk about with New Jersey families. We are preparing for that by growing the Jersey Family Fun team of contributors with new local faces and voices who are passionate about our great state and interested in sharing their stories and experiences with other families!
Will you become a contributor for Jersey Family Fun?
Do you love exploring new places in New Jersey with kids and telling everyone about it? Are you active on social media always posing your kids for photos and sharing new places you’ve discovered? Are you the go-to mom, dad, grandma, auntie, or unc that everyone goes to for advice on things to do in New Jersey?
As the Jersey Family Fun editor, I am looking for New Jersey grown ups who are passionate about the children in their lives and creating new, fun, engaging, and memorable experiences with them. If you’re someone who likes to share those experiences with others, we want to get to know you.
This is a volunteer position, but there are some really fun perks to make it all worthwhile. You do NOT have to be a blogger or have a portfolio of published work to apply! You do not need to be a mom, just a grown up who regularly spends time with kids and teens. Dads, grandparents, aunties, aunts, uncs, uncles, adult-aged siblings, and other grown ups are encouraged to apply.
We are simply looking for New Jersey adults who know how to write, are comfortable with social media, can take decent pictures, have a passion for providing kids with experiences in New Jersey and the surrounding area, and are looking for a ways to have new family experiences and share them with others!
Here’s the “volunteer job description”…
What You Provide:
- If a contributing writer/influencer – One-two original articles per month that fit within the Jersey Family Fun niche. We can provide topics and outlines or you can suggest topics you’re interested in. Articles can be emailed or shared through a file sharing service.
- If a social media contributor/influencer – One-two posts per week with pictures/video on one of the Jersey Family Fun social media channels. Jersey Family Fun is currently active on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube. We are considering joining TikTok.
- An active presence on social media and engagement with our social media posts. Facebook is required.
- Availability to attend Jersey Family Fun events (once they resume)
- Availability for monthly contributor meetings (either virtually or in-person once they resume)
- A passion for helping kids, teens, have fun with their loved ones in New Jersey.
- Positivity, enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and being open to new experiences
What We Offer You:
- Your photo and bio on the Jersey Family Fun Contributors page. Links to your personal website and/or social media handles can be included if you wish. Contributors can remain anonymous or use a pen name if they choose.
- Your articles will feature your name in the byline area and end with a short bio about you.
- Access to the Jersey Family Fun Contributors Facebook group and other internal communications, guidelines, and resources
- Experiences to explore fun places and events in New Jersey and the surrounding area with the children in your life at no expense to you. Think complimentary visits to your favorite museums, tickets to concerts and other performances.
- Opportunities to test out products and/or services before reviewing them for Jersey Family Fun
- Potential to earn income through profit sharing from content you create
- Fun swag from time to time or surprise gift boxes
- Information and professional development in the areas of writing, blogging, SEO, social media, and event management (as available)
- Access to pre-sale, discounted, or free tickets to upcoming Jersey Family Fun events
- The ability to change lives for children and teens in New Jersey! When you share with a family the details about something they can do with kids, you change their lives. You show them another way they can have fun and create memories together without going too far from home.
- Fill out the form below in its entirety
- Deadline is Monday, May 31, 2021.
- Email our editor, me, Jennifer Auer at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
General content creation guidelines
I can’t tell you how much it means to me to have contributors willing to share their thoughts, family experiences, and more with other New Jersey families! Everyone on our team makes a difference to me and New Jersey families!
Before you begin completing our application, consider these guidelines in terms of the content we create and information we share. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
- New Jersey is our home. Nearly all of our content relates to activities families can do in New Jersey. Yes, we do write about Philly, New York, and other areas within driving distance for day trips and outings, and activities you can do at home, but the majority of our articles and posts are about New Jersey. Articles can feature places to go and things to do. More general topics (product reviews, movie reviews, etc) become local and relevant to our readers and followers when they come from someone they can connect with!
- What would you want to know? What would a caregiver or parent need to know? Our audience is made up of moms, dads, aunties, aunts, uncles, uncs, grandparents, older siblings, and more hungry for ideas on things to do with the children they care about. Some are used to going out for adventures and others would prefer to know everything they possibly can before trying something new, so we write with those grown ups in mind. We want to make going out with kids in New Jersey fun and easy. So our coverage is indepth, even providing information that may be obvious to some. We ask the questions our readers would ask to get the answers they need. If you have an activity that the kids you love enjoy or want to do the chances are pretty high that our readers and followers want to know about it too. We can work together to create and share that content with them.
- Be open to sharing: Our contributors and their families have had some amazing experiences: tickets to Disney on Ice, dinners out, celebrity meet and greets, testing toys on the floor of the International Toy Fair, going behind the scenes at the circus, going on the field for a major sports team, overnight stays at resorts, and more. Sometimes we can share those experiences with multiple members of our team. Sometimes we can only share it with one. Most experiences our contributors can bring their kids, but not all of them. Our team members understand that opportunities are shared among our team and not every opportunity is available to every team member.
- Be open to learning: Jersey Family Fun has been around for over 10 years! Woohoo! In that time, we’ve learned a few things about what works and what doesn’t work on our site and social media channels. We’ll work with you to develop a style of writing, photography, and videography that shows what makes you special and helps you connect with our readers while also helping Google and other search engines find our content.
- Be authentic! You be you! Want to write about hiking, museums, ice fishing, cycling? Awesome! Hate amusement parks and never want to write about them? Awesome. Together, we’ll find the things you, and the kids you love, LOVE and you’ll share that with others. As a contributor, you’ll pass on your experiences to inspire other experiences and we believe your experiences working with us will feel just as rewarding as we feel our experience working with you will be.