In full disclosure, we were compensated to write this article. We appreciate Xfinity’s support of Jersey Family Fun and our efforts to let New Jersey families know about products and services they may enjoy. As always, all opinions are our own.
Technology – there’s no escaping it! While cable television service has been all but a standard in homes since the early 1980s, the technology found in homes today far exceeds what our cable service provided back then. With hundreds of channels available, DVR at your fingertips and shows that can be viewed on mobile devices, there is so much for parents to keep an eye on. Shows that could be inappropriate might be on channels you never even expected. Let’s not forget that most precarious of today’s technology – the internet! Television and the internet are always there, even when parents aren’t. What to do?
We were recently invited to tour the Xfinity store in Lawrenceville. As you can imagine, we were wowed by all the latest innovations available to Xfinity customers. From home security/video monitoring to voice controlled remotes, and even apps to bring your internet to your television screen, Xfinity offers home entertainment that families need. But with three boys in our home, what impressed me most was the Xfinity Parental Controls available to me. As soon as my boys could read, I found the need to use controls on our cable service. Not all shows or show descriptions are appropriate for little eyes, and I was impressed by the ease with which Xfinity parental controls can be activated, as well as their reach.
Controls can be activated on Xfinity on Demand, Cable TV, DVR, and Xfinity X1. Questionable websites can be blocked as well. In 7 easy steps you can set a parental lock on all programming – as easy as this!
How to use Xfinity Parental Controls
- Press the Menu button on the remote.
- Select the Home icon to display the Main Menu (the Home icon is the first icon on the left with the picture of a house).
- From the Main Menu, select Setup.
- In the next screen, highlight and select PINs Setup. Here you can create a 4-digit Locks PIN to lock programs by rating, channels or titles, and create a 4-digit Purchase PIN to prevent an unwanted purchase of pay On Demand or Pay-per-View programs. Or, set an option to lock all programs after a power loss, until ratings and titles are restored.
- When you are finished, go back to the Main Menu.
- Select Parental Locks and enter the Locks PIN you just created.
- Use the arrow buttons on your remote to choose when the Locks PIN must be used. You can lock programs by title or rating, or lock an entire channel. You also can access the Locks Setup screen by pressing Menu on the remote and selecting the Lock icon.
This PIN works to block content on your DVR and your On Demand purchases. It’s that easy and that important. Xfinity’s concern for your children doesn’t end there – there’s also a family friendly webpage where you can search television listings by age appropriateness.
Using Xfinity Parental Controls with the new Xfinity Kidz Zone
When the Xfinity parental controls are set up they can be used with the Xfinity KidsZone. Think of KidsZone as a cable option that only plays programming you have preapproved. You can enter the Xfinity KidsZone, but kids can’t exit it without using your PIN. Therefore a child is not going to be able to watch shows that are outside what you have allowed.
Learn more at parents.xfinity.com.
I mentioned our visit to the Xfinity store, but did you know there are now 5 Xfinity Stores in New Jersey? At the stores you’ll find:
- Guided demos of latest innovations like Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Home
- Flat screen TVs, iPads and a seating area where customers can try out and learn more about the full line of free Xfinity apps, Xfinity Home and more
- Personalized service from trained and knowledgeable sales consultants
- Time-saving features like self-serve bill pay kiosks and a queuing system that allows customers to explore the store instead of waiting in line for service
Sounds great right?
Try out these parental control options yourself by visiting your Xfinity local store at:
- Mays Landing Wrangleboro Consumer Square – 500 Consumer Square, Mays Landing, NJ
- Mercer Mall 3371 US Route 1, Lawrenceville, NJ
- Rio Grande Rio Grande Plaza – 1500 Rt 47, Rio Grande, NJ
- Toms River 1256 Hooper Ave, Toms River, NJ
- Union 2345 US Highway 22 CTR, Union, NJ
Want a chance to win a Nest Learning Thermostat as a thank you for taking time to learn about Xfinity parental controls?
The Nest Learning Thermostat works nicely with Xfinity home services and is a smart device for monitoring your home’s temperature. In coordination with Xfinity and the other #XfinityMoms in attendance for the Xfinity store event we are giving away a Nest Learning Thermostat. Keep reading to enter.
Some things to consider before you enter:
- This giveaway will run from May 25, 2016 till June 1, 2016.
- Winners are not chosen by Jersey Family Fun but rather the blogger coordinating this giveaway.
- The winner will be contacted by email to arrange for the delivery of their prize.
- Our giveaways/contests are by no means sponsored by Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube or any other social media platform. There is no purchase necessary to win.
After you’ve entered here be sure to check out our other current giveaways.