Our thanks to Oriental Trading for sponsoring this post and inspiring our creativity for another fun birthday party idea.
Want to do something different for your child’s birthday party? Need an unique idea for a tween birthday party?
How about a glow in the dark birthday party?
It’s a different idea right? And yet it’s creative. I have to admit the idea of a glow in the dark birthday party just came to me. My creativity is like that.
I was shopping the Oriental Trading Company partly looking for ideas and partly shopping for items for our Kids’ Quarters at the Tuckerton Seaport when it hit me. Summer time calls for outside birthday parties. Tweens and teens still like parties but need something a little different and want something cool…. why not a glow in the dark birthday party?
If you’re not sure where to start with planning a birthday party for your tween or summer birthday child we can help. With our ideas and Oriental Trading’s glow in the dark products your Glow in the Dark Birthday Party is going to be a blast.
How to Have a Glow in the Dark Birthday Party
Planning your glow in the dark birthday party
- First think about your date and time. If you want your party outside plan for something later in the evening after the sun goes down. If you are celebrating a younger child’s birthday you can bring your glow in the dark party inside in a room with the lights turned down.
- Consider how many guests you want. Will you be purchasing party favors? Will you be buying pizza? Remember most party favors are sold in packs of 12. Pizzas have 8 slices to a pie. Plan your birthday accordingly to cut down on costs and waste.
- What is your food budget for the party? You don’t always have to serve a meal at a party. Outside parties can be planned for later at night after dinner time. Inside parties can be planned for mid afternoon hours. If you eliminate the need to provide a meal, your food costs will be limited to snacks, cake, and beverages.
Glow in the Dark Birthday Party Invitations
- Invitations should generally be sent out 2-3 weeks before the birthday party date. While it may be hard to create an actual glow in the dark invitation you can add special effects to your invitations to make them glowriffic. Use glow in the dark stickers or jewels to decorate your invitation and the invitation envelope. Include glow in the dark pony beads in the party envelope. Or attach a glow stick (not activated) to the invitation.
Decorating for a Glow in the Dark Birthday Party
I feel like the idea for decorating for a glow in the dark party are endless, but here’s a few to get you started.
- Use Oriental Trading’s glow in the dark footprints or glow sticks (pushed into the ground) to decorate the path to the party location.
- Attach glowsticks to ribbon to create glow in the dark streamers across your location.
- Place glowsticks inside balloons to give a special light up effect. I would suggest not fully inflating the balloon. A fully inflated balloon might be more sensitive to the edges of a glow stick and more likely to pop.
- Fill plastic bowls or jars with glowsticks to create luminescent centerpieces.
- Hang glowballs from trees or ceilings.
- Have kids drink from Crazy Glow cups. I recommend using a sharpie to mark each child’s name on the cup so there’s no confusion over whose is whose.
Glow in the Dark Birthday Party Games & Activities
- Play horseshoes or ring toss with glow in the dark necklaces or bracelets. Decorate the stakes or cones with glow in the dark paint or duct tape. Then have party guests toss the glow in the dark rings and attempt to land them around the stake.
- Take a typical ball game and do it with glow in the dark balls.
- Switch up a game of soccer, kickball, or dodgeball and use a glow in the dark ball.
- Have kids work with a partner. Teams stand parallel from each other tossing the ball back and forth without dropping it. Each round they move further away from each other. The winning team is the team that can toss the ball back and forth from each other from the farthest distance.
- Remember the hot potato game. Play that, only this time the ball is a glow in the dark ball.
- Go bowling or play frisbee. Yes, Oriental trading has glow in the dark frisbees and a glow in the dark bowling set. See which party guest can toss the frisbee the furthest? Who can get a strike in the dark? (You can create the lines of a bowling lane with glow in the dark paint or duct tape.)
- Create an obstacle course. Think about how you might normally set it up but now decorate the obstacle with glow in the dark paint, duct tape or glow sticks. Put glow necklaces around cones. Mark paths with glow in the dark paint.
- Hula Hoop Contest. Decorate a hula hoop with glow in the dark paint or duct tape and see who can keep the hula hoop in the air the longest. Enjoy the neat look of the hoop spinning in the air.
- Get crafting. Oriental trading has glow in the dark self-adhesive jewels and other crafty items.
Birthday Gifts for the Birthday Child
Oh my goodness! Looking over the Oriental Trading site I quickly found glow in the dark gifts perfect for any age. My kids’ favorites are the finger beam lights, funny face light up balls, and the mini ufo lamp.
Take Home Gifts for a Glow in the Dark Birthday Party
With 335 glow in the dark products at Oriental Trading, there really is no shortage of items that you can send home as a glow in the dark party favor. Here’s some of our favorites.
- Glow in the dark slime
- Glow in the dark tattoos
- More glow in the dark necklaces, bracelets, or sticks. You can’t go wrong with the Value Glow Assortment. It includes includes twenty-five of each: 4″ glow sticks, 8″ bracelets and 22″ necklaces in assorted colors with 1″ connectors.
Thank you cards
Don’t forget the best party hosts always appreciates the guests that came to the party. Leave a glowing impression with your guests with the thank you card. Either decorate the card with those glow in the dark stickers or include a glow in the dark tattoo to remind them of how fun your party was.
We hope you enjoy our glow in the dark birthday party ideas. We’d love to have you pin this for later or see our other ideas for birthday parties or playdates.