Hopatcong State Park – Sussex and Morris County Parks & Playgrounds
Hopatcong State Park is one of my favorite parks to visit any time of year. It offers a wide variety of activities for families during every season from swimming and having picnics in the spring and summer to hiking and fishing in the fall to sledding down the hill and making snowmen in the winter. It is the perfect family destination as it is not only tons of fun, it is also FREE most of the year! (In the summer, it is only $6/car.)
Another wonderful perk about visiting Hopatcong State Park is that it allows visitors access to Lake Hopatcong which extends through Morris and Sussex county. This amazing lake is nine miles long with 2500 acres of fresh water. Families can rent a boat from one of the many local marinas to enjoy a fun-filled day on the lake. Here are some activities you can enjoy:
- Quality family time
3 Reasons my Family Loves Hopatcong State Park
- Gorgeous views! Hopatcong State Park allows visitors to enjoy the picturesque view of gorgeous Lake Hopatcong while playing in the playground, fishing, hiking and hanging out with family. The calming sound of the waves and boats driving by, makes Hopatcong State Park a great place to visit to relax and destress as well.
- So much to do! Hopatcong State Park has something for EVERYONE! There are 2 playgrounds for kids to enjoy: one at the top of the park and one next to the beach. There are also great opportunities for exercise and playing sports like basketball, beach volleyball, hiking and soccer. With access to a boat launch, visitors can also enjoy a day on Lake Hopatcong engaging in activities such as water skiing, swimming, fishing and tubing.
- Makes for a PERFECT family day! Hopatcong State Park is perfect for spending a day with family and friends. From Memorial Day through Labor Day there is a small fee of $6/car to enter, but the for the rest of the year it is FREE! There is an abundance of picnic tables and grassy areas to relax, play games and enjoy time with family. There are also tons of grills so families can BBQ! Hopatcong State Park is also great for family reunions, birthday parties and summer camp trips.
What Hopatcong State Park offers:
- Sand Volleyball Court
- Large Picnic Pavilion
- Six Half-Basketball Courts
- Boat Ramp
- 2 Playgrounds each with 4 slides, 2 tic-tac-toe boards, 2 baby swings, 2 regular swings, several climbing features and monkey bars
- An abundance of picnic areas with grills
- Beach (seasonal)
- Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum
Hopatcong State Park is located on Lakeside Boulevard in Landing in Morris County & Sussex County.
Want to find more fun places to play in New Jersey? Visit our New Jersey Parks & Playground listing.
See more Hopatcong State Park photos in our Facebook Gallery.