The sweetest place on Earth just got sweeter!
Introducing the new Hersheypark Gluten-Free Menu
One of my biggest concerns when traveling is whether or not the location I’m visiting will have gluten-free options. I don’t let that concern stop me from traveling, but the availability of safe foods can certainly affect my enjoyment of a location. I know some of our readers feel the same way. I also know we have other readers where the lack of safe foods means they won’t travel to a destination at all.
When I was invited to be a part of Sweet Welcome, a weekend for bloggers to be treated with a complimentary stay and tours in Hershey, those concerns came up again. Often on a press trip, there aren’t really many safe options for me. I pack granola bars and hope I’ll have options beyond garden salads and plain chicken. I contemplated what to do. I knew that our readers really enjoy learning about Hersheypark so I made the decision to attend and I shared my concerns about my food options. I am so glad I did. In doing so, I learned that part of what the PR team had in store for us was to introduce us to NEW options on the Hersheypark gluten-free menu.
Our Hershey Sweet Welcome started with a dinner on a Friday night and ended on a Sunday after lunch and I can honestly say I found delicious gluten-free options everywhere we went. I’ve talked with chefs and servers at Hersheypark, Hershey Lodge, the Hotel Hershey, and in Downtown Hershey each one of them takes food allergies and intolerances seriously as is ready to do what they can to make sure food concerns don’t interfere with anyone’s SWEET vacations to Hershey. Hershey and Hersheypark guests with gluten allergies have more options than ever before. Take a look.
What gluten-free options exist at Hersheypark?
It was really fascinating and exciting to hear that gluten-free options exists throughout Hersheypark. I had heard they did, but until this visit I really didn’t know where to look for them. It turns out that every food stand and restaurant has a Hersheypark gluten-free menu, some locations will have more choices than others. For example, you can get gluten-free pizza at all pizza stands by requesting a gluten-free crust for your pizza.
We’ll explore the gluten-free menu options below. Before that, here are two cool facts that all families can appreciate.
- The gluten-free options are included as part of the Hersheypark Meal plan, definitely take advantage of that option to save money on dining while visiting Hersheypark.
- For a Hersheypark eatery that is completely gluten-free and nut-free dine at The Outpost.
The Hersheypark Gluten-Free Lunch and Dinner options
As I learned, Hersheypark has more gluten-free food choices than ever before. When ordering at a concessions stand that offers a gluten-free specialty item, tell the employee taking your order that you would like a specialty item. Staff will then take the time to carefully prepare your order. Keep in mind that specialty gluten-free items take a few extra minutes to prepare so plan accordingly. We’ll start with the Hersheypark Gluten-Free menu at the Outpost and then focus on gluten-free foods by food type.
The Outpost at Hersheypark Gluten-Free Menu
The Outpost is located at the Pioneer Frontier. All of their menu items are gluten-free, nut-free, and fish and shellfish-free. Many are made to order and can be prepared to meet specific needs. Options include wraps, salads, pizzas, chicken tenders, and snack options.
- Mozarella Flatbread
- Chicken Tenders
- NEW Southwest Chicken Wrap
- Soft Pretzel Bites with Cheese
- Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- Southwest Chicken Salad
- Fruit Salad
- NEW Turkey Wrap – The filling of turkey, bacon, and cheese was light and crispy. The wrap itself was tender without being too flaky. I could have eaten several of these they were scrumptous.
- Pepperoni Flatbread
- Club Salad
- Club Wrap
- NEW Spinach and Artichoke Flatbread – The gluten-free Spinach and Artichoke Flatbread was quite flavorful. I am guilty of having a few pieces of this flatbread. It’s definitely going to be one of my go-to gluten-free foods for lunch at Hersheypark.
For a list of ingredients for The Outpost Gluten-Free Menu items visit here.
Other gluten-free foods available at Hersheypark
- Gluten-free Hamburgers and sandwiches are available at Founder’s Kitchen, Overlook Food Court and Decades.
- Gluten-free Hot Dogs with gluten-free rolls are available at Overlook Food Court, Timber Treats and Dietz & Watson Country Grill.
- Gluten-free Chicken Tenders are available at Overlook Food Court and The Outpost.
- Gluten-free French Fries are available at Overlook Food Court and Tower Fries.
- Gluten-free Pizza is available at Overlook Food Court, Dispatch Pizzeria (all locations) and The Outpost.
- Gluten-free Meatball subs are available at Dispatch Pizza Midway.
- Gluten-free Tacos are available at Overlook Food Court.
Hersheypark Gluten-Free Snacks
You can’t visit Hersheypark without enjoying some yummy goey snacks. Thankfully, there are some gluten-free snacks throughout the park. Gluten Free Snacks are offered at The Swirl, Overlook Food Court, Founder’s Way Refill Station and The Outpost. Making Whoopie Pies in Founder’s Way has gluten-free whoopie pies. Lastly, some concession stands sell prepackaged gluten-free cookies.
How do I find gluten-free foods at Hersheypark?
There are three easy ways to find gluten-free foods at Hersheypark.
- Use the Hersheypark app to search for food options by food allergen.
- Visit this page of the Hersheypark dining section of the website where I’ve already filtered the drink and dining options by those that have gluten-free options.
- Go directly to The Outpost where everthing served is gluten-free, nut-free, and fish and shellfish-free.
How does Hersheypark avoid cross contamination with gluten-free foods?
It’s important to let the food staff know you are ordering a speciality item if you have a concern about cross contamination. Hersheypark staff is trained to handle allergen friendly food options with extreme care. When an order is placed for a specialty item, staff will wash their hands, put on new gloves, and use all new utensils designated specifically for those specialty items. You can learn more on their site, here.
Gluten-Free Dining at the Hersheypark Hotels
I have to admit, I held back from eating at too many Hershey Lodge restaurants in the past. I was always nervous about what could I eat and would there be options beyond salads and burgers without buns. This Sweet Welcome trip for bloggers, allowed me to get past that. Knowing the staff was fully aware of my dietary restrictions, I wasn’t afraid to ask questions or try something new. I didn’t have to feel like I was inconveniencing anyone by needing food that was safe for me to eat.
The Fire & Grain Restaurant chef came out on the first night and explained how they handle food allergies and sensititives in the Hershey Lodge restaurants. It was great to hear how the dining team (chefs and servers) take their guests dietary restrictions seriously and that there are always options for guests. Guests can even reach out about gluten-free dining or food allergens safe food choices at the Hershey Lodge before their visit by contacting them directly at email@example.com.
Once you are in a Hershey Lodge restaurant, don’t be afraid to talk to the chefs. You can let them know what you’re interested in having, and they can tell you if it can be modified with your concerns in mind.
The Hershey Lodge Gluten-Free options
We didn’t get to sample all the Hershey Lodge restaurants, but I did get to try out gluten-free options from the Fire & Grain Restaurant and the Hershey Grill.
Fire & Grain Restaurant
During our first night at the Hershey Lodge we were treated to dinner at the Fire & Grain, it’s located right across from the Hershey Lodge front desk. I have to admit when I walked in and saw all the food for the bloggers to sample, I was nervous. It all looked delicious, but I was worried that it wasn’t all gluten-free. I had nothing to worry about though, because the chef already had some gluten-free options on deck for me.
- White Bean & Roasted Garlic Hummus with Shaved Brussel Sprouts Toast – This tasty option is on the small plates menu for the Fire & Grain restaurant. For me, it was modified to be served on gluten-free bread. The chef even checked in on me, because he knows most gluten-free breads can taste like cardboard. And yes, the bread tasted great, nice and soft. It was not something I probably normally would have tried, but I am so glad I did. It was great and packed with flavor.
- Kalem Beet & Farro Salad – From the salad portion of the menu. This was as tasty as it looks (see below). The chef created this without the Farro to keep it gluten-free.
- Braised Short Ribs & Crispy Potatoes – Also from the small plates menu, this is naturally gluten-free. The picture doesn’t do it justice. It was flavorful and filling. It was my favorite dish of the night!
- Flourless Chocolate Torte – I don’t see this yummy, gluten-free chocolate dessert listed on the Fire & Grain dessert menu, but it’s totally worth asking for. In my case, the chef knew I was coming and had it ready. You can’t do Hershey without having chocolate desserts! So if dessert is important to you, I would always recommend reaching out to the team at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out what gluten-free desserts they can prepare for your stay.
- To see the menu or more gluten-free options at the Fire & Grain please see their online menu here.
The Hershey Grill restaurant is located on the backside of the Hershey Lodge, right outside where the conference rooms are. You’ll need to exit the Lodge and walk to the right to get to it. On the second day or our visit the Hershey pr team treated us to breakfast. So while I can’t speak to the lunches and dinner, I can tell you about my gluten-free breakfast at the Hershey Grill.
Of course, you can always have an omelette or eggs with gluten-free toast at the Hershey Grill but I’d encourage you to try something new. The Hershey Grill offers gluten-free pancakes, waffles, and oatmeal. I don’t believe I’ve had pancakes in the 5+ years I’ve been gluten-free, so I jumped at the chance to have gluten-free pancakes.
Let me just tell you, drizzled with a chocolate-infused maple syrup, these gluten-free pancakes were the most awesome pancakes I’ve ever had. So delicious and filling, I couldn’t even finish my plate. I will definitely be back to try them again.
To see the menu or more gluten-free options at the Hershey Grill please see their online menu here.
Other Hershey Lodge restaurants with gluten-free menus
- The Forebay – The Forebay restaurant is the Hershey Lodge’s upscale, but still casual restaurant serving seafood, steak, and yes kid-friendly and gluten-free options. You can learn more about their menu with gluten-free options here.
- The Bear’s Den – The Bears’ Den is a fun, casual hockey-rink themed restaurant. It opens just in time for lunch and stays open till midnight. I don’t see their gluten-free options online. However, you can learn more about their menu here or contact them directly at email@example.com.
- Cocoa Cabana – The Cocoa Cabana is the poolside eatery at Water Works. It’s open most of the time with easy, quick food options as your kids play in the water. You can learn more about their menu with gluten-free options here.
- Cocoa Beanery – The Cocoa Beanery is located off of the lobby on the main floor. It’s open early for light breakfast options and stays open late if you need a late night snack or need to make up for missing dinner. Their menu is not available online, but I did see that salads and gluten-free bread is available.
The Hotel Hershey Gluten-Free options
We had a jam-packed weekend visiting the different Hershey properties so our visit to the Hotel Hershey was brief. We were treated to a buffet breakfast the The Circular. What a beautiful setting. There’s no bad place to sit. Anywhere you are seated you’ll be greated with outstanding views of the grounds.
Our server took the time to tell me about the safe gluten-free options available at the buffet, the ones that I probably should avoid, and other gluten-free options she could bring out from the kitchen.
The Circular gluten-free breakfast buffet options include
- Made to order omelettes and other eggs
- Juices & Tea
Gluten-free options available from the kitchen
- Gluten-free toast
- Gluten-free chocolate chip muffins
- Gluten-free blueberry muffins
You can see the complete The Circular menu with gluten-free options here.
Other Hotel Hershey restaurants with gluten-free menus
- Harvest – The Harvest offers American cuisine for the whole family with menus adults and kids will love. You can learn more about their menu with gluten-free options here. Bonus the children’s menu includes notations for possible allergens.
- Trevi 5 – The Trevi 5 is The Hotel Hershey’s Italian restaurant. You can learn more about their menu with gluten-free options here. For dessert, their gluten-free cheesecake sounds delicious.
- Poolside – Hotel Hershey guests can even dine gluten-free poolside with the Poolside cafe. You can learn more about their menu with gluten-free options including salads, hummus, and more here.
- Iberian Lounge – The Iberian Lounge is for the adult crowd with light foods and cocktails. You can learn more about their cocktails and food options here.
- Cocoa Beanery – Similar to The Cocoa Beanery in the Hershey Lodge is a Cocoa Beanery coffee shop at the Hotel Hershey. Here they are open early for light breakfast options and stays open until the early evening hours (5-7 pm). You can learn more about their gluten-free options here.
More Gluten-Free Options in Hershey
Houlihan’s Gluten Sensitive Menu
We arrived at the Hershey Houlihan’s, in Downtown Hershey, Saturday night after a busy day exploring Hersheypark and Hershey Story Museum and before our visit to ZooAmerica. After all that walking, I was certainly hungry and ready to hear about the gluten-free options at Houlihan’s. Not only did chef Christopher talk to us about their multi-level system of saftey checks in place for guests with food allergies and intolerances, I was thrilled to see the extensive Houlihan’s Gluten Sensitive Menu.
From Hershey Houlihan’s website
Houlihan’s is not a gluten-free environment. We have prepared this list of gluten-friendly menu options based upon the most current ingredient information we have from our food suppliers and their stated absence of wheat/gluten within these items. Since we prepare food from scratch in our prep kitchen, wheat flours and other wheat-based products are used throughout the day. Please be aware that during normal kitchen hours, operations involve shared cooking and preparation areas — including common fryer oil — so the possibility exists for food items to come in contact with other food products. Due to these circumstances, we are unable to guarantee that any menu offering can be completely free of allergens for those seeking a gluten-free diet.
Their Gluten Sensitive Menu included starters, soups, flatbreads, entrees, sides (including baked french fries) and even dessert of a Housemade Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee. You can see that menu here. I ordered a HOULIHAN’S BURGER with a gluten-free bun, because I never turn down the chance to have a gluten-free burger. I finished it off with their Creme Brulee.
Devon Seafood & Steak
Devon Seafood & Steak is another restaurant in Downtown Hershey with gluten-free options. They are one of the more upscale restaurants in the area serving brunch, lunch, or dinner. Like Houlihan’s Devon’s has an expansive selection of gluten-free items, but they are not cooked in a gluten-free environment. Food is prepared from scratch in their prep kitchen every day. You can see the Devon Seafood & Steak Gluten-Free menu here.
Have we made you hungry? What will order first from the Hersheypark Gluten-Free Menu?
Looking for What’s new at Hersheypark?
Watch this video or click over to read What’s NEW at Hersheypark?