There’s a Harry Potter Festival coming to our area! We’ve got your details and 10 ways to make the most of this local Harry Potter event.
The Harry Potter Festival returns to take over Chestnut Hill, located just outside of Center City in the Northwest section of Philadelphia. Chestnut Hill mystically morphs into Hogsmeade for the annual community fan festival. Thousands of fans will flock to the destination for this free and family-friendly event. Local families will have the chance to interact with characters from the beloved series, tap into the tastes of the Potter world with themed food and drinks, shop the most bewitching boutiques, cheer along with a game of Quidditch, participate in activities fit for muggles and wizards alike, dodge Dementors, and much more.
10 Ways to Have a Magical Time at the Harry Potter Festival and Quidditch Tournament
Watch a Quidditch game
- For fans of the wizard sport, the 7th Annual Philadelphia Brotherly Love Cup Quidditch Tournament takes place on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Chestnut Hill College.
- The round robin tournament is a cross between dodgeball, basketball and rugby and even features broomsticks, snitches and bludgers, just like the game made famous in Rowling’s books. Teams from visiting colleges include the University of Pittsburgh, Franklin and Marshall College, Lafayette College, Kutztown University, Syracuse University, Stockton University and the local community team – The Philadelphia Honey Badgers.
Explore the town turned into Hogsmeade for the day
- Local establishments magically transform into locations from the world of Potter with popular stops like “The Leaky Cauldron” (McNally’s Tavern), “Hog’s Head Tavern” (Tavern on the Hill), “Honey Dukes Sweetshop” (Zipf’s Candies), and “Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop” (Night Kitchen Bakery), just to name a few.
Explore the campus of a college that could pass for Hogwarts
- Chestnut Hill College, site of the Quidditch Tournament, could easily pass for Hogwarts, with its large stone buildings.
Ride the Knight Bus
- A complimentary Knight Bus Trolley will transport visitors throughout Chestnut Hill along the festival footprint and beyond.
Ride the Hogwarts’s Local
- For those visitors traveling to the festival sans broomstick or thestral, hop aboard the Hogwarts Local. SEPTA’s regular Saturday schedule runs service between Center City and Chestnut Hill West and East stations all day in both directions. Mingle with Harry Potter and friends at Jefferson Station from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. The first train to the festival departs at 10:15 a.m. with the characters on board.
- Dumbledore will be greeting everyone at 11:30 am.
Be sorted into your proper Hogwarts house
- Will you be in Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin or Ravenclaw? Sortings will take place from 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm.
Check out the TriWizard Maze
- Take a wizarding walk through the TriWizard straw maze at Woodmere Art Museum.
Ride a thestral
- Visit the Great Hall of The Presbyterian Church of Chestnut Hill to ride a thestral.
Sample some butterbeer, buy some chocolate frogs or treacle tarts
- Food and snacks will be available for purchase around the town.
Additional Harry Potter festival activities include: make your own snitch, reenactments of fan favorite scenes from the series, a Muggles read-a-thon featuring live readings of Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets.
The main events of the Harry Potter Festival and Quidditch Tournament run Saturday, October 22, 2016 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. There is a family movie night and pizza party on the Friday evening, October 21, 2016. For more information, click here.