This is not a sponsored post.
Green Meadows Petting Farm
On a sunny Saturday in June, I decided to take my three children to the Green Meadows Petting Farm and boy were they happy I did! We didn’t even realize that we were there on the last weekend of their spring season. They are open May 1 – June 8, and again in the fall from October 3 – November 3. While we’ve been to petting zoos before, Green Meadows was hands-down my children’s favorite.
Some of the things we loved about Green Meadows Petting Farm:
- TONS of baby animals including pigs, cows, goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, kittens, puppies, and horses.
- You get to milk a cow! My kids were so excited to do this and our guide really took the time to explain the technique and let each child try until they got it right.
- There is a tractor-drawn hayride! I love that this is included in the cost of admission. What kid doesn’t love a hayride?!
- Picnic area – pack a lunch and make a day of it.
- Everyone gets a pumpkin in October!
When you arrive at Green Meadows, your group is assigned a guide. The guide will take you around the entire farm. We stopped at each animal and our guide explained all about what they like to eat, how they grow, and other fun facts. Green Meadows Petting Farm allows you to go into the pen with most of the animals and pet them. With some animals, the children are allowed to hold them or feed them. My kids were beyond thrilled to hold a fuzzy little baby duck in their lap and snuggle a baby kitten.
Some things we learned while at Green Meadows:
- Seeing all of the animals on the farm took us around an hour and a half. You are allowed to stay as long as you want or see every animal three times if you want! You just have to go around with a guide who will open the pens for the animals and make sure the children are safely petting them.
- If you have a child in a stroller, make it one that can handle dirt/sand/grass/bumpy terrain. The farm is spread out over a giant field but most of the animals are on the outskirts in a wooded area. An umbrella stroller is not just not going to cut it at Green Meadows.
- When we were there, the picnic area was packed with a visiting day camp. Right by the parking lot there are more picnic tables as well as a playground that our kids loved visiting.
- Wear sneakers! Children (or adults) in flip flops will end up with dusty, dirty feet and being that it is a farm, there are some piles around that you don’t want to step in wearing open-toed shoes.
- Bring a camera! There is nothing cuter than seeing your child holding a sweet baby animal.
Green Meadows Petting Farm is located on Green Acres Drive on Middle Road in Hazlet, NJ 07730. They are open seasonally: Spring from May 1 – June 8, and Fall from October 3 – November 3. Admission is $13 per person, children under 2 are free. Cash only – no credit cards accepted. See the Green Meadows website for directions and the most up-to-date information.