If you keep up with our Field Trip Friday series, then you already know we love the Garden State Discovery Museum. Well, now they’ve taken something great and made it Dinoriffic! The Garden State Discovery Museum has a dinosaurium.
What Makes the Garden State Discovery Museum Dinosaurium Dinoriffic
- Climb-a-Saurus – Where else can you and your kids walk through a dinosaur? Travel through tunnels as you explore the insides of a dinosaur and other dinosaur-related activities. There are multiple-levels in the climb-a-saurus and the climb-a-saurus wraps around the room. For parents who prefer not to crawl, you can get into the dinosaur on the other side by using the stairs. You can also stand in about half of the climb-a-saurus. (You have to see our pictures on Facebook to do it justice.)
- Dino Dig – In mulch, that reminds me of the recycled rubber that you see at some playgrounds, kids can dig for dinosaur fossils.
- Design your own postcard – Grab a postcard. Decorate it with some dinosaur stamps. Address it and the Garden State Discovery Museum staff will mail it for you.
- Dino-puppets – There were at least 3 kinds of dinosaur puppets that my husband enjoyed playing with. I’m not sure who had more fun my husband or my kids watching my husband’s performances.
- Roar like a dinosaur – There are three tubes where kids can talk into. Their voice will project to the lower area and they can hear what they would sound like as a dinosaur.
- Make your own Trilobite using crayons that you rub over a stencil.
Other activities in the Dinosaurium area
- Paleontologist’s Puzzle
- Dino Mix Up – Match up the parts of the dinosaur
- State Identification Flip Chart – allows you to see what dinosaurs originated in each of the states
- Dinomap- You can have the magnetic dinosaurs migrate across the country
- Dino Play area – Kids can play with toy dinosaurs.
- Displays and signs – help the kids learn more about dinosaurs.
- Other Dinosaur-related activities at the Garden State Discovery Museum
- From the sound booth kids can crank up the dinosaur music and rock out to it on the stage.
- In front of the castle is a make and take area, my boys made their own dinosaurs.
- More excavating of dinosaur fossils can be done in the outside garden.
- You can buy and stuff your own dinosaur in the gift shop.
The Dinosaurium is located deep within the Garden State Discovery Museum, past the big Light Bright and spider web. It has its own bathroom, which is a nice plus. You won’t have to go to far should your child need to use it.
The Dinosaurium opened on Saturday, September 18 and will remain open till further notice. For more details visit the Garden State Discovery Museum website. To see more of our pictures visit our Facebook Gallery.