Published in 2014, but updated annually.
Spend Independence Week learning about our country’s history with the All American Celebration at the National Constitution Center from July 1, 2018 t0 July 4, 2018 and FREE admission on June 28!
For the fourth consecutive year, the Constitution Center will participate in Wawa Hoagie Day on June 28, 2018. Admission to the National Constitution Center that day is FREE, courtesy of Wawa. Celebrate the 26th annual Wawa Hoagie Day! Attendees will enjoy a 6-ton hoagie salute, free Wawa hoagies, a performance by the USO Show Troupe and more!
FREE Admission to the National Constitution Center includes these Free Activities for Independence Week
- Family Fun Activities, Daily, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Guests can check out our giant replica of the Declaration of Independence and sign alongside Franklin, Adams, and Jefferson!
- At Historic Character Meet and Greets, visitors can interact with famous figures from history, including founding fathers like Ben Franklin and George Washington.
- Visitors themselves can don colonial outfits at our Dress Up station, and pose for one-of-a-kind photos!
- Outside, visitors can play graces, hoop and stick, nine pin, and other games popular during the Revolutionary era.
- Visitors will also have the opportunity to step inside an actual voting booth and cast their vote for their favorite founding figure! In partnership with the Philadelphia City Commissioner’s Office.
- There is also be great make-and-take craft projects for visitors to create!
- Flag Etiquette Workshop Daily
Grand Overlook Stage
Join the National Constitution Center staff each morning for a spirited Flag Raising Ceremony, and then again in the evenings as we reverently lower it. In special workshops, visitors will discover the history and symbolism of the American flag and learn all about the proper way to treat it.
- Independence Day Show
Grand Hall Overlook Stage
From parades to protests, cannons to flag waving, explosive words to fiery demonstrations, this show takes an in-depth look at this exciting celebration of freedom from the early days of American independence to the present day.
- The Star-Spangled Banner: A History of Our National Anthem Show, Daily
Grand Hall Overlook Stage
Learn the story of Francis Scott Key, the Battle of Fort McHenry, and the flag that inspired our national anthem.
- Giant Flag Folding
Families can participate as members of the museum’s staff fold our 20X30 foot American flag!
- Alexander Hamilton Experience at the National Constitution Center
This year, the National Constitution Center celebrates Constitution signer, Father of American Banking, not to mention the inspiration behind the smash Broadway musical, Alexander Hamilton.
- The National Constitution Center’s riveting new museum exhibit highlights the competing ideas of Alexander Hamilton and his legendary rivals. Created by the National Constitution Center, Hamilton: The Constitutional Clashes That Shaped a Nation, explores Hamilton’s fraught relationships with James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and Aaron Burr.
- Visitors can also explore our iconic exhibits like Signers Hall and The Story of We the People through a new and exciting lens, as we highlight the lasting legacies of one of our favorite founding fathers.
- An interactive Lobby Show gives visitors the story of Hamilton’s early life. Learn about his life growing up in the Caribbean and his journey to the United States, his struggle to get an education, and his life as a Revolutionary soldier at the right hand of George Washington.
- After “spending the day” with Alexander Hamilton, the National Constitution Center invited you to put your knowledge to the test at our Hamilton Trivia Game.
- Independence week will also feature special tours of our exhibits, Decoding the Document workshops, arts and crafts activities, and more, all centered around Hamilton’s life and legacy!
- The 1776 Experience—Revolutionary War Encampment, July 2-4, 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. 1
Join Revolutionary War re-enactors as you step into a re-created military encampment right on the National Constitution Center’s front lawn. Stop by the medical tent to visit the surgeon, watch the blacksmith forge steel, and see Continental Army soldiers march and drill on the grounds. You can even practice being a soldier with a wooden musket and find out if a soldiers’ life is for you! The National Constitution Center is pleased to once again partner with the 6th Pennsylvania Regiment to present our 7th Annual Revolutionary War Encampment.
The National Constitution Center is located at the Independence Mall at 525 Arch Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Hours for Independence Week are:
Thursday, June 28: Open Late—9:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.
MONDAY – FRIDAY:9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
SATURDAY:9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
SUNDAY:12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Read more about National Constitution Center by checking out our National Constitution Center series.
Check out our other reviews of family attractions in our Field Trip Friday series.