New Jersey is a great place to take in some FREE or low-cost family activities.
We love sharing with families fun things to do in NJ especially when it comes to events in New Jersey. If you are looking for things to do in New Jersey today or in the days ahead, just take a look at our Calendar of New Jersey events.
Click on any New Jersey event listing below for more information on local events that we think your family will enjoy. Our New Jersey Calendar of Events also includes things to do this weekend by including weekend events in New Jersey.
Events are sometimes cancelled or postponed, before heading out please double check with the event organizer for current times and additional information. We do our best to provide the most relevant and timely information to our readers.
Events are posted on Jersey Family Fun with information from various sources; as well as submissions from local businesses. Please note all events are subject to change without notice. Jersey Family Fun is not liable for errors, omissions, or changes to calendar event listings.
For more specific information on any event please contact the event organizer directly. Jersey Family Fun does not put on these events, we only help with the promotion of them.
Don’t you want families to know about your events in NJ? For information on having your event listed and advertised on the Jersey Family Fun Calendar of New Jersey Events, please visit our event submission directions.
Want a listing of this week’s events and this weekend’s events delivered to your mailbox each week? Visit HERE to sign up for our Jersey Family Fun Events newsletter.
- This event has passed.
PAWS for Art at WheatonArts (Dogs Allowed)
September 7, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pmFree
Saturday, September 7 ~ 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
This FREE Family Day event brings pet owners and their dogs on site for a day of art and fun.
Pet food donations for the Shelter are welcome & encouraged. Click Here for the Pet Food Donation Wish List.
2019 PAWS for Art Highlights
WheatonBarks Dog Show at 2:30 p.m.
Presented in collaboration with the City of Millville’s Recreation Department – Trophies will be awarded in both Adult and Children’s classes for each of the following categories:
- Best Dressed Pet – Dress your pet up in their favorite costume!
- Best Golden Oldie – Show off your senior pet!
- Cutest Wiggle & Wag – Wow the crowd with your pet’s happiest moves!
- Wettest Kiss – Win over the judges with your pet’s sloppiest kisses!
- Prettiest Eyes – Show us your pet’s beautiful eyes!
- Crazy Hair Day (Dog & Owner) – Don’t be shy! Show us your & your pet’s wackiest hairdo!
- Best Six Legs (Dog & Owner) – Socks, shoes, & leggings, oh my! – Team up with your pet & show us your best six legs!
- “Top Show Dog” awards will be given for Best in Show, Top Dog, & Sportsmanship. Winners of these three categories each received a glass trophy created by WheatonArts Glass Studio artists! Additional trophies are stoneware pet bowls handcrafted by the WheatonArts resident and associate potters.
FREE Family Art Activities, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m
Located to the left of the General Store
- Toilet Paper Roll Cat Balls –A safer alternative to the traditional yarn ball, these toilet paper roll cat balls are easy to make and are not a choking hazard to your favorite feline friend.
- Dog Tug Toys –Join us as we upcycle old clothes into tug toys your dog will love. We will us long strips of fabric to create sturdy braids to use in games of fetch or tug-of-war.
- Animal Collage –Create a multi-media animal-collage using a variety of papers including construction paper, magazines, newspaper, and scrapbook paper. Begin your college with one of our contour line animal drawings and fill it in with your unique collage elements.
Clay Paw Prints, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Stop by the Ceramics Studio with your pup to create a unique commemorative piece. A Studio Assistant will help you press your pup’s paw into a clay disk. Paw prints will be bisque fired and available for pick up approximately six weeks after the event. All particpants will receive a come-back pass to pick up their piece!
Stick around and interact with the WheatonArts’ resident and volunteer artists in the Ceramic & Flamework Studio! Watch live demonstrations and ask questions about their creative process. This building is pup-friendly!
The Glass Studio, open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Watch live demonstrations and interact with the artists throughout the day. This building is pup-friendly!
- Glass Bubble Blowing10 a.m. to 11 a.m. –Experience what it feels like to blow a glass bubble! During this quick walk-in experience, a glass blower will bring you a small gather of glass on a blowpipe. They will then instruct you how to position your mouth on the pipe and how to force air down the pipe, thereby expanding the glass. Blow until your bubble pops!A physical piece will NOT be kept at the end. This experience is FREE and open to the public.
- Large Glass Dog Bone Demonstration 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. –The WheatonArts Glassblowers will be demonstrating how the glass dog bone trophies are made. This narrated demonstration is accompanied by a special glass dog bone giveaway! Be sure to be in the Studio at 2 p.m. when the winner is announced!Door prize forms will be collected up until the end of the demonstration. Must be present to win.
Nature Trail, open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Calling All Rockers! Thanks to our creative volunteers and community rockers, The WheatonArts Nature Trail Entrance and surrounding areas will be “planted” with over 150 beautifully painted rocks!
For a list of vendors and more updates please visit the WheatonArts website.