Are you looking to make better use of your Essex County libraries?
Did you know there are so many Essex County Library Events for kids?
No matter what age your children are, there is something for them at your local library! Some libraries in Essex County offer daily events, and some are weekly, or even monthly. Just stop in! Some library websites aren’t maintained daily, and your library might do a better job posting signs than posting online.
Reasons to Visit your Essex County Libraries
- Learn more about reciprocal borrowing privileges through PALS Plus. PALS Plus includes a group of public and academic libraries located throughout New Jersey. Members share library and computer resources.
- Does your child just HAVE to have the next installment of the series they’re reading? Don’t run to Barnes and Noble before you check out your reciprocal privileges!
- No Essex County Library Events when your kids are available for them? No problem! Stop in for a movie, CD, or of course a DVD. Exposing your children to the benefits of the library can inspire a love of reading and strengthen their resource skills.
- Libraries fit your budget! Free books, CDs, and often time movies, along with ebooks and audiobooks can help those with a limited entertainment budget. Have a preschooler at home and need to fill the days? Libraries offer story times, crafts, and even yoga. See below for what some Essex County libraries offer!
What you need to know about the Essex County Libraries
- There are 20 libraries in Essex County, not including the various branches (Newark Library has six branches); Belleville, Bloomfield, Caldwell, Cedar Grove, East Orange, Fairfield, Glenridge, Irvington, Livingston, Maplewood, Millburn, Montclair, Newark, Nutley, Orange, Roseland, South Orange, West Caldwell, West Orange, and Verona. Some libraries are so large they may even consist of branches; Montclair and Maplewood have two branches while Newark has six. Each library has its own unique offerings while most offer story times. See the list below and click the name to go directly to any of the library websites.
- What is available will be based on the expressed need of the patrons and available resources. Make sure to express your interests when visiting your local library.
- Listed next to each library is a sample of JUST A FEW events/programs that they offer. There’s a lot more to choose from so so be sure to check their sites! Some events may be limited to residents so make sure to call ahead if you are unsure. Some may also require pre-registration which some libraries can accommodate online or you may need to call the library directly.
- Libraries offer plenty of adult programs too so take some time for yourself and join a book club, knitting club, or attend an author lecture.
The Essex County Library System Locations
Bergen County Cooperative Library System: Essex County Libraries
- Bloomfield Public Library, 90 Broad St., Bloomfield Tel. (973) 566-6200
- Glen Ridge Public Library, 240 Ridgewood Ave., Glen Ridge Tel. (973) 748-5482
- Livingston Public Library, 10 Robert Harp Dr., Livingston Tel. (973) 992-4600
- Maplewood Memorial Library
- Main Branch, 51 Baker Street, Maplewood Tel. (973) 762-1622
- Hilton Branch, 1688 Springfield Ave., Maplewood Tel. (973) 762-1688
- Millburn Public Library, 200 Glen Ave., Millburn Tel. (973) 376-1006
- Montclair Public Library
- Main Branch, 50 South Fullerton Ave., Montclair Tel. (973) 744-0500
- Bellevue Avenue Branch, 185 Bellevue Ave., Upper Montclair Tel. (973) 744-2468
- Nutley Public Library, 93 Booth Dr., Nutley Tel. (973) 667-0405
- Roseland Free Public Library, 20 Roseland Ave., Roseland Tel. (973) 226-8636
- West Caldwell Public Library, 30 Clinton Rd. West Caldwell Tel. (973) 226-5441
Other Libraries in Essex County not part of the county system
- Belleville Public Library, 221 Washington Avenue, Belleville Tel. (973) 450-3434
- Caldwell Public Library, 268 Bloomfield Ave., Caldwell Tel. (973) 226-2837
- Cedar Grove Public Library, 1 Municipal Plaza, Cedar Grove Tel. (973) 239-1447
- East Orange Public Library, 21 S Arlington Ave, East Orange Tel. (973) 266-5600
- Fairfield Free Public Library, 261 Hollywood Ave, Fairfield Tel. (973) 227-3575
- Irvington Public Library, Civic Square, Irvington Tel. (973) 372-6860
- Newark Public Library
- Branch Brook Branch Library, 235 Clifton Avenue, Newark Tel. (973)-733-7760
- Clinton Branch, 739 Bergen Street, Newark Tel. (973)-733-7757
- North End Branch, 722 Summer Avenue, Newark Tel. (973)-733-7766
- Springfield Branch, 50 Hayes Street, Newark Tel. (973)-733-7736
- Vailsburg Branch, 75 Alexander Street, Newark Tel. (973)-733-7755
- Van Buren Branch, 140 Van Buren Street, Newark Tel. (973)-733-7750
- Weequahic Branch, 355 Osborne Terrace, Newark Tel. (973)-733-7751
- Orange Public Library, 348 Main Street, Orange Tel. (973) 673-0153
- South Orange Public Library, 65 Scotland Rd, South Orange Tel. (973)-762-0230
- West Orange Public Library, 46 Mt Pleasant Ave, West Orange Tel. (
- Verona Public Library, 17 Gould St, Verona Tel. (973)-857-4848