We received the Blurt Game, at no charge, to review from Educational Insights. We appreciate their support of Jersey Family Fun which allows us to share information about math toys we think families may enjoy.
A comic entertainer who wears funny clothes and has a painted face is a _____
A smooth, round object formed inside the shells of oysters ______
Do those answers come immediately to mind? Do you feel the urge to ‘blurt’ them out?
Educational Insight’s Blurt game is unlike most board games. Yes, the goal is to get to the end before the other players. It’s the how you get there that’s different. In Blurt, it’s a word race to see who can identify the vocabulary word the fastest. It doesn’t matter whose turn it is, whoever answers correctly first gets to move their playing piece ahead.
How do you play the Blurt Game?
Blurt is for ages 7 to adult and can be played with as few as 3 players. There are 4 game pieces, but players can form into teams. Initially, my youngest (6 year old) thought he wouldn’t be able to keep up with his brothers, but he surprised them and himself by doing well. The playing cards offer an easy and difficult side. For the most part we kept with the easy cards. However, by the third round my 9 year old was asking for the more difficult clues. He knew he might not do as well but he wanted the extra challenge. How’s that for an educational game that keeps older kids interested?
I played with my three boys as three different players. The number rolled determines which clue is read. The reader can’t answer since he/she can see the answer. I played the role of the reader to simplify things. The other players guess the clue. Whoever answers first gets to move the number of spaces indicated on the die. If playing as teams then the other members of the reader’s team can guess.
Other ways to play the Educational Insights’ Blurt Game
- Junior Version ~ A special way for players, aged 7 to 9, that gives both all players/teams a chance to win by correctly spelling their guesses.
- Regular Play ~ As described above
- Advanced Play Options ~ Gives players ways to add increased difficulty to the game.
- Bonus Blurts ~ Presents opportunities to earn bonuses when you land on certain spots.
4 reasons why we LOVE Educational Insights’ Blurt Game
- Multiple levels of difficulty! Educational Insights’ Blurt is just challenging enough for my kids. They need to think and consider the clue before answering.
- Mom-friendly! Educational Insights’ Blurt Game pieces, game board, and playing card are durable. They can be wiped clean. No batteries are required.
- Right amount of time! Each round took about 10-15 minutes to complete with 2 kids playing and my being the reader. Our first time playing my kids were so into it we played for 3 rounds. This is a family game that can easily be played as dinner preparation is underway or after dinner for family game night.
- Educational! I love how Blurt puts a twist on how kids learn vocabulary. Kids have to think about the clue and then what vocabulary word matches that definition.
I hope you enjoy Educational Insights’ Blurt Game as as a way to help your kids not only improve their vocabulary but also as a way to get more excited about family game night.
To help cover the costs associated with running a site like Jersey Family Fun, we participate in affiliate advertising programs. These programs pay us a small commission when readers purchase an item by using our links to it. You can help support the Jersey Family Fun site by purchasing Educational Insights Blurt Game through the following link.