In full disclosure, we were given passes to Liberty Science Center in exchange for our review of the Curious George: Let’s Get Curious exhibit. We appreciate their support of Jersey Family Fun and our efforts to share fun things to do in New Jersey with our readers.
Did you love Curious George as a child?
Do your children love him now?
I remember reading Curious George books when I was a little girl and I love reading them to my kids now. They love Curious George and all of the crazy situations he gets himself into. But what I love most about Curious George is how he gets himself out of trouble through his problem solving skills. The new exhibit at Liberty Science Center encourages children to explore scientific concepts in the same way George does.
Recently, we had the chance to visit the “Curious George: Let’s Get Curious” exhibit while we were at the Liberty Science Center. As we made our way through the exhibit we were able to explore several science concepts like shadows, wind energy, and friction.
Highlights from the Curious George Exhibit at the Liberty Science Center
Explore Curious George’s Apartment Building
The first section of the Curious George exhibit we explored was George’s apartment building. This area includes fun places to play like the apartment building mailboxes or opening the elevator. But it also includes many opportunities to learn about light, shadows, and pulleys. My kids loved placing colored translucent shapes on the overhead projector and seeing their shadows projected on the wall. It was actually the first time they had ever seen a projector and they were amazed. They also loved helping George clean the windows on the apartment by pulling on the pulley string.
Play Mini Golf with George
This was probably my son’s favorite part of the Curious George exhibit. As soon as he caught a glimpse of the mini golf holes, he ran right over. But these weren’t just any mini golf holes! This was mini golf with a scientific twist. Each hole had a problem to be solved, just like George does on the show. On one of the holes the children needed to use a ramp to get the ball over the hole in the course. In another hole they were able to connect PVC pipes together to make a tunnel for the ball to travel through.
Learn About Wind Power on the Farm
The farm was definitely my daughter’s favorite part of the Curious George exhibit. All of the activities on the farm are based on exploring wind power. There are fans for the children to operate and try to set off chimes and wind vanes. Another section of the farm included a table of blocks that can be used to make something that will spin in the wind. My daughter found that to be a very challenging task. But the best part of the exhibit was the make and take section. There are two crafting sections. On one side you have the instructions and materials to make your own pinwheel, and on the other side you can make a windsock. Both kids were very excited to make something they could take home with them.
George’s Sidewalk Produce Stand
In in the produce stand, children can pretend they are shopping in a city market just like George. There are stuffed fruits and vegetables to shop for, and a scale to weigh them on. After you select your produce you can check out on the pretend cash register.
Curious George’s Museum within a Museum
My favorite part of the Curious George exhibit was the mini museum about Curious George and his creators. There were cases full of Curious George memorabilia and many of his books. It was also interesting to read about the Rey’s and the interesting lives they led. My daughter was curious about the rotary phone and loved learning how to use it.
In addition to all of these great activities children can climb aboard Curious George’s rocket ship and go down the slide, or sit on a park bench and read a book. And if you visit the exhibit on October 1, November 11, November 25, December 28, and December 29 you can even meet Curious George and take a picture with him.
Curious George: Let’s Get Curious will be open until January 8, 2017, and entrance to the exhibit is included with admission to the science center.
For more details about the Curious George exhibit at the Liberty Science Center, please visit the Liberty Science Center website.
For more pictures from our visit to Liberty Science Center, see our Facebook Photo Gallery. See below for a preview.
One lucky family will win a family 4 pack of tickets to the Liberty Science Center to GET CURIOUS!
Jersey Family Fun’s Liberty Science Center Ticket Giveaway Details
Jersey Family Fun Giveaways and Contests are subject to the following rules and conditions:
- Unless otherwise stated, entrants can earn a free entry by checking the first free entry box.
- You may earn an additional entry by leaving one comment on the Jersey Family Fun giveaway/contest blog post, that answers the question being asked during the timeframe of the contest. Comments that do not answer the question, while appreciated, will not be valid or count as meeting the requirement. Comments left after the giveaway/contest has closed will not be valid toward the contest.
- Contact information is a requirement for entry: name and a valid email address is required. Other non-personal information may be required/requested for entry. This information will not be shared with the giveaway sponsor unless it is stated in the contest/giveaway blog post itself.
- Our giveaways/contests are by no means sponsored by Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube or any other social media platform. You may use them to earn additional entries, but you are not required to use them to enter. None of these social media channels are responsible if you don’t win.
- No purchase is ever necessary to win a Jersey Family Fun prize in an online contest.
- Chances of winning are dependent entirely on the number of eligible entries received.
- The Liberty Science Center is in Jersey City, New Jersey.
- We will pick 1 winner. The winner will receive 4 tickets to visit the Liberty Science Center. The tickets are ONLY good for one visit.
- The winners are responsible for his/her own travel costs during an event. There is a fee for parking.
- This giveaway will end Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at midnight. The winner will be announced shortly after that. Make sure you have left us your email address. You will have 24 hours to claim your tickets by emailing us back your name to Melanie. All prizes not claimed will either remain with the company sponsor or Jersey Family Fun to be used at a later date.
- Once all entries have been validated, we will use Rafflecopter to select a winner. View our how to use Rafflecopter video here.
- Winners agree to provide contact and shipping information to Jersey Family Fun and/or the giveaway sponsor, including full name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Unless otherwise stated, giveaways and contests are only available to residents in the United States. Unless stated otherwise ticket and giftcard prizes are only valid in New Jersey and for specific dates/performances. Void where prohibited by law.
After you’ve entered here be sure to check out our other current giveaways.