In full disclosure, Goya provided us with products and compensation to create a Meatless Monday recipe for our readers.
Recently our family started trying to integrate at least one meatless meal every week into our family dinners. For one, we are trying to eat healthier by introducing more vegetables into our diet. Additionally, we wanted to break out of the rut of cooking and eating the same few meals over and over again. As a result, we adopted the weekly ritual of a “Meatless Monday” dinner.
I’m a little ashamed to admit that there have been quite a few times where our Meatless Monday dinner consisted of a frozen cheese pizza and some carrot sticks. It’s tough to come up with meat-free options that the whole family will enjoy. But recently with the help of Goya, we discovered some new and delicious Meatless Monday meals that our entire gang enjoys!
With our busy schedule of basketball, soccer, and other after-school obligations, I am not left with a ton of time to make a tasty vegetarian meal. The big question became, “How can I make a meatless meal that isn’t a pizza?” I realized that the answer was simple: our food can be easy, interactive, and delicious, which makes meal time fun! Our favorite Meatless Monday creation has to be this Coconut Rice Bowls recipe I created. It’s a simple concept: everyone fills their bowls with rice and tops them with an assortment of vegetables and toppings. (Think: salad bar but with rice as the base instead of lettuce) We try to vary our selection of veggies each time we have our rice bowls, as well as our seasonings and flavors of rice. It’s a huge hit with our kids, who love having the freedom to customize their bowl however they like.
One of the creative ways we have learned to amp up the excitement in a rice bowl is by using coconut rice as our base. By cooking the rice, in our Coconut Rice Bowls recipe, with a mixture of water and Goya Coconut Milk, the rice becomes extremely flavorful. Coconut rice can be made from any type of rice but I love brown rice for the nutritional value. Rice bowls can be topped with veggies, cheese, and nuts. If you need a protein boost, you can add on some pan-seared tofu, fish, or a sunny-side up egg – my personal favorite!
Coconut Rice Bowls Recipe
Coconut Rice Bowls Recipe Ingredients
- Coconut Brown Rice Bowls – serves four
- 1 1/4 cups Goya Brown Rice
- 2/3 cup Goya Coconut Milk
- Goya Organics Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Butternut squash and zucchini, diced into bite-sized pieces (or other assorted vegetables)
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: 4 eggs, cooked sunny-side up
Directions to make this Coconut Rice Bowls Recipe
- In a pot, combine brown rice, 2 cups of water, and coconut milk. Cook on high heat until it reaches a boil, stir and reduce heat to low and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes, fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turning pieces once halfway through with a spatula.
- Add zucchini to baking sheet with squash and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Top each bowl of coconut rice with veggies and a sunny-side up egg.
Join Goya’s “Can Do” Initiative
In addition to offering tasty meal solutions, the Goya brand is helping to combat hunger with their “Can Do” initiative. For each can of Goya Coconut Milk purchased in November and December, Goya will donate products to Feeding America. The food will then be distributed to families in need at local food banks across the country. The ‘Can Do’ campaign is part of Goya Gives, a national initiative committed to supporting local communities through social and environmental causes. By the end of the year, Goya will donate at least 600,000 pounds of food.