In full disclosure, we were provided with some meals, accommodations, and activities in Cambridge, Maryland as well as suggestions on locations to visit to make this post possible. We appreciate the support of the merchants in supporting Jersey Family Fun to find fun family travel locations. As always, opinions are my own.
Our first summer vacation of 2016
It was supposed to be spring. My first visit to Cambridge, Maryland was originally scheduled for a weekend in May. The kids were going to be busy with soccer so I’d be there alone to enjoy the Hyatt Regency. But as the days drew closer to my trip, the weather forecast grew grim. Rains and thunderstorms were predicted. While I am sure I would have found a way to get work done and enjoy quiet time in a hotel room, I decided to reschedule my trip.
I picked an early week in July when I could come with my boys. I’m so glad I did. Cambridge, Maryland is an area meant for a family vacation. The Hyatt Regency is beautiful and relaxing for a couple and yet still welcoming of families. Had I come alone I might not have explored it all. I would have been tempted to work in a room or near the pool. Coming with kids, not only did we explore, but we want to come back and explore more.
While there are so many benefits to vacationing in Cambridge Maryland, one that shouldn’t be overlooked is the convenience. Travel to Cambridge from the Jersey Shore took less than 4 hours and less than a tank of gas. It’s an easy doable trip that doesn’t require getting up super early to get there. Leave at breakfast and arrive in time for a late lunch.
Take a look at just how you can plan your family vacation to Cambridge, Maryland.
Make your family vacation to Cambridge, Maryland truly relaxing with a stay at the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort!
Cambridge, Maryland was such an interesting place to visit. As you approach the Hyatt Regency the streets are like a typical suburb. You can find all the conveniences you need from food to gas to groceries. Then, you turn onto the pathway of the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort. You pass through the gated entrance and it all changes. You’re in a different world, a peaceful one inviting you in to relax and get away from it all on your Cambridge Maryland family vacation. We found the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort to be a great family friendly hotel for families taking a vacation to Cambridge. Click over to Our Family’s Stay at the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort to read about our stay.
Enjoy great family friendly dining at these Cambridge, Maryland restaurants
To keep our dining budget in check, we had breakfast in our room with cereal and milk we brought from home. We purchased dinner in Hyatt’s Cafe on the second day and ate it on the beach and bought lunch at Kay’s the last day. Rock Lobstah did host Jersey Family Fun for dinner our first night. Here are a number of Cambridge restaurants for your family to consider.
- Rock Lobstah ~ Chef Patrick Fanning owns three local restaurants Stoked, Rock Lobstah and The High Spot. They all sounded amazing, but when given the choice to be hosted at one of his Cambridge restaurants we chose Rock Lobstah. We’ve never had lobster rolls, and Rock Lobstah combines New England lobster and lobster dishes with local oysters, crabs meat to make a variety of lobster and crab rolls. Here’s a brief look at what the boys and I enjoyed.
The service at Rock Lobstah was excellent and the atmosphere was fun and casual, perfect for families. Take a look at our Facebook album of pictures and we’re sure you’ll agree. Definitely make plans to enjoy Rock Lobstah or any of Chef Fanning’s restaurants. If they are anything like Rock Lobstah, your family will enjoy it. Learn more about Rock Lobstah on their Facebook page.
- Kay’s at the Airport ~ This is a fun little spot on the way to Blackwater. It’s a little café at the Cambridge general aviation airport and if you blink you’ll miss it as you drive down the road. All the locals recommended it. I’m so glad we searched it out. As you and your family eat lunch or breakfast, you can watch planes land and take off. The food is very inexpensive without feeling like they are sacrificing anything. The food is homemade with kids favorites. You can click over to see our pictures on Facebook and how we fed a family of four for less than $22. Learn more about Kay’s at the Airport on their Facebook page.
- Ocean Odyssey ~ Located on Rt. 50, best place for fresh seafood, steamed crabs from local waters. The crab cakes and other crab dishes are highly recommended. Owned by local watermen. http://toddseafood.com
- Jimmie & Sooks ~ Named for male crab (Jimmie) and female (Sook). In downtown Cambridge it has a nice family atmosphere with good local seafood. http://jimmieandsooks.com
- The High Spot ~ It’s a nice, casual little restaurant on High Street downtown. Good locale fare and seafood. http://thehighspotgastropub.com
- Stoked ~ Another Chef Flanning restaurant, Stoked is a wood-fired eatery with great pizza options for kids. The chicken wings are excellent (not deep fried) and their pasta and salad dishes are good as well. Learn more at their site, www.stokedwoodfiredeatery.com
- You can visit the Visit Dorchester site for more information about local Cambridge, Maryland restaurants.
Have some family fun exploring these Cambridge, Maryland family attractions
While you will certainly enjoy yourselves just taking advantage of the Hyatt Regency amenities, there’s more to explore beyond their gates. I know my own kids wanted to get out and see what else Cambridge had for kids to do. Our days there were beautiful weather, the kind of weather that invites you to stay outdoors as long as you can. But it’s nice to know rain or shine, Cambridge Maryland has several family attractions available.
- Blackwater Paddle & Pedal Adventures ~ Details in Discovering a Kid’s Love for Nature in Blackwater National Wildlife Reserve
- Choptank River Lighthouse & Long Wharf Park
- Blackwater National Wildlife Reserve ~ Details in Discovering a Kid’s Love for Nature in Blackwater National Wildlife Reserve
- Heart of the Chesapeake Visitors Center ~ Details in A Rest Stop Like No Other, Dorchester Visitors Center
- Breckenridge Adventures
- Choptank Bowling Center
- Cambridge Premier Cinemas
- Heritage Museums & Gardens of Dorchester (great for kids interested in colonial history)
- Harriet Tubman Museum
- Richardson Maritime Museum
- Dorchester Center for the Arts
You can read about the Cambridge, Maryland adventures we had in these articles.
Our Favorite Family Moments at the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort
Click over to read about our experiences in our favorite family moments at the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort with details about the family memories we’ll treasure most from our stay with the Hyatt Regency.
Discovering a Kid’s Love for Nature in Blackwater National Wildlife Reserve
There are so many ways to explore the Blackwater National Wildlife Reserve, we’re sharing 5 ways including our favorite kayaking with Blackwater Paddle & Pedal Adventures. Read about our experiences Discovering a Kid’s Love for Nature in Blackwater National Wildlife Reserve.
A Rest Stop Like No Other, Dorchester Visitors Center
Get the details on how the Dorchester Visitors Center in the heart of the Chesapeake Bay is unlike any other rest stop or visitors center you’ve been too in this article.
Make a visit to Cambridge, Maryland your family’s next vacation.
For more photos from our visit to Cambridge, Maryland, see our Facebook Albums.
- Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay
- Visitor Center at Sailwinds Park in Dorchester/Cambridge Maryland
- Blackwater Paddle & Pedal Adventures
- Blackwater National Wildlife Reserve
- Dining at Rock Lobstah
- Kay’s at the Airport
Click over to see the rest of our Family Travel to Cambridge, Maryland series or Visit Dorchester for help in planning your family vacation to Cambridge, Maryland.
To arrange a feature on your location contact Jennifer Auer, Jersey Family Fun publisher.