When we last visited the Adventure Aquarium in December, we could only see signs that hinted at a new KidZone area. Walls shielded our view, but we could hear the hard work going on behind the walls. We were intrigued. We didn’t know much but we knew it would be fun. Last Sunday, we found out just how much fun.
The new Adventure Aquarium KidZone is bright and vibrant. It is located upstairs in Zone C and runs the length of the floor. The play areas at Lizzie’s Lagoon and Bobby’s Beach are confined to one end of the floor giving you a nice space to relax and let your child wander and play while you snap picture after picture of how much fun they are having. That’s of course if your kids stand still long enough for pictures. Excited by all there was to do, my kids dashed from exhibit to exhibit, I tried as best I could do get their pictures. You can see them in our Facebook photo gallery.
Aside from our detour to the Camden Children’s Garden (review available here) we spent the majority of the day at the Adventure Aquarium. Before there was always lots to do and see and touch but now it’s been made better with the KidZone. When the kids get hyped up from seeing all the cool animals or are ready to burst from touching the animals oh so gently, they’ve now got this amazing little play space to burn off that energy and have fun at the same time.
Check out the highlights.
Adventure Aquarium’s KidZone Highlights
- Meet the newest mascots for Adventure Aquarium: Gill (shark), Lizzie (hippo), Bobbi (penguin), and Shelldon (turtle).
- Several photo opportunity spots
- Signs that share unknown facts about the animals behind the new Adventure Aquarium mascots
- Gill’s Grotto– Touchable exhibits where you can feel a great array of sea creatures
- Sea stars
- Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
- Fire Shrimp
- Coral Banded Shrimp
- Red Leg Hermit Crabs
- Sea Apples
- You can still visit the shark and sting ray touch tanks on the main level.
- Lizzie’s Lagoon
- Banyan tree with suspended foam “roots,” that chime like wind chimes when you walk through them.
- Ring the bell or steer the boat in an interactive river boat.
- Create more music with
- colorful whale drums
- acoustic “whomp” tubes
- magical chime walls
- Bobbi’s Beach
- Travel through an open-top beach maze
- Match up the puzzle pieces in a revolving wall puzzle
- See exotic and unique aquatic animals at heights children can see
- waxy monkey frogs
- upside down jellyfish
- & more
- Shelldon’s Shore
- Climb inside a larger-than-life turtle shell
- Pop up or kneel under ‘pop up’ bubbles and get an insider’s view of the fish
- Send a message through the talk tube
- Enter a darkened area to see Flashlight Fish
With Spring Break upon us, now is a great time to visit the Adventure Aquarium and the KidZone area. You can see below the special activities they have planned. With the special activities and this new area, you know the Adventure Aquarium will be busy. But don’t let that stop you from enjoying a trip there. (Check out our tips to avoid long waits at family attractions on busy days.)
Spring Break Activities at Adventure Aquarium
- Scooby Doo appearances – Wednesday, April 4 – Monday, April 9, at select times between 11 am and 3 pm.
- Super Why and Wonder Red appearances – Friday, April 13 & Saturday, April 14, at select times between 11 am and 3 pm.
To view more pictures from our visit, please see our Facebook Gallery.
To purchase tickets to the Adventure Aquarium at a discount through Jersey Family Fun, click here (Please note there will be a 3-5 day delay as we mail the tickets to you.)
To purchase your tickets online directly with the Adventure Aquarium click here.
In full disclosure, this post is sponsored in part by the Adventure Aquarium who provided Jersey Family Fun with tickets and complimentary parking to make our review possible. We were responsible for our own travel costs. We also make a minimal profit from tickets bought for the Adventure Aquarium through Jersey Family Fun. However, our opinions as always are honest and based on our experience at the Adventure Aquarium.