Winter break is always so exciting… at first. The kids love getting a break from school work, the parents are so happy to stop the constant shuttling back and forth to and from activities. Everyone is so happy to stay in their pajamas all day and relax. It all seems like a win-win, at least for the first few days… until cabin fever sets in. We’ve all been there: the house is a mess, the kids are tired of their movies and toys, someone has eaten all of the snacks, and they just want to do something else! Well here’s our list of some great places to go visit just when that happens.
14+ Ways to Keep Kids Busy on Winter Break
Holiday Activities Happening In and Around New Jersey During Winter Break:
- The Barron Arts Center Holiday Train Show: Woodbridge (Middlesex). On display until December 27.
- Holiday Light Spectacular at the Turtle Back Zoo: West Orange (Essex). On display until January 3.
- Sahara Sam’s Winter Break: West Berlin (Camden). Until January 3.
- Six Flags Great Adventure Holiday in the Park: Jackson (Ocean). Until January 3.
- Tuckerton Seaport Festival of Trees: Tuckerton (Ocean). On display until December 31.
- Tropicana’s Free Holiday Music Light Show, Atlantic City (Atlantic). Until January 3.
- Holiday Scavenger Hunt at Frelinghuysen Arboretum: Morristown (Morris). On display until January 3.
- Dora and Diego Exhibit at Liberty Science Center: Jersey City (Hudson). On display until January 24.
Holiday Activities Happening Outside of New Jersey During Winter Break:
- All-Star Days at the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Saturday through Wednesday, December 26–30, All day & Reptiles exhibit until January 10, 2016.
- Macy’s Christmas Lights: Philadelphia. On display until December 31.
- RiverRink: Philadelphia, PA. Happening through March 6.
- ICE! At the Gaylord National Resort: National Harbor, Maryland. On display until January 3.
- Free at the Kimmel Center: Philadelphia, PA. Happening through the new year.
- Reading Terminal Market Train Display: Philadelphia, PA. On display until December 31.
Please visit our Winter Day Trips & Destinations Guide to find our favorite spots throughout our area to keep you and your family busy all winter long.
Still looking for more to do? Check out our New Jersey Library Events page to find a free library program near you.
Did your neck of the woods get some snow? Let the kids frolic outside and visit our favorite sledding spots in NJ.
Do you know of any great places to visit during winter break? Leave them in the comments below!