This post was sponsored by The Academy of Natural Sciences who is a Jersey Family Fun Partner in Fun. We appreciate their support of Jersey Family Fun that allows us to share with families information about things to do with families in Philadelphia & Philadelphia Museums we think your family may enjoy.
Who wants a Moms Night Out?
Do you long for a night of adult conversation? Do you want a night off from homework and soccer mom duty? We’re here to help.
We are giving away 10 sets of 2 passes each to the Academy’s Mega-Bad Movie Night!
Join us at the Academy after hours to watch an “awesomely awful” movie. Witty experts will be onstage to offer their quips and sidesplitting comments on the many scientific absurdities—think Mystery Science Theater 3000! Think no diapers or dragged out bedtime routines for one night.
Wander among the Academy’s famous exhibits such as Dinosaur Hall and Butterflies!—without kids! It’s a great place to meet fellow science nerds as you hang out with your friends. It’s even perfect for a Thursday date night!
May’s Mega-Bad Movie Night Will Feature The Fly (1986) on Thursday, May 21 5:30 PM-9:00 PM
The Academy is showing The Fly and will have an all female panel (for the first time ever) at this edition of Mega-Bad Movie Night.
At the Academy they’re pretty familiar with wacky scientists and offbeat experiments, but when an experiment goes wrong, their scientists usually don’t turn into giant man/fly hybrids. Things take a turn in The Fly! In this deliciously disgusting science-fiction horror film, Seth Brundle (Jeff Goldblum) merges with a fly at the molecular-genetic level, and things get weird really fast.
Witty experts will be onstage to offer their quips and sidesplitting comments on the many scientific absurdities—MST 300 style. This special Mega-Bad features a first-ever all female panel of commentators, including special guest Kennedy Allen of the Black Tribbles (the 2014 Philly Geek Awards Podcast of the Year)! That’s right…they’re putting lady geeks in the spotlight, and it’s going to be a Philly event to remember.
The Fly overlaps with our special exhibit, Animal Grossology, so they’ll be playing up the ick-factor in all the pre-movie festivities. Did you know that flies vomit on their food to predigest it? Did you know snail and slug slime might provide scientists with more insight into treating a medical condition? Did you know that at this Mega-Bad Movie Night, you can make your own slime to take home?! See kids look what mommy made.
Before the movie, grab a beer, check out some specimens, and wander among the Academy’s famous exhibits such as Dinosaur Hall and Butterflies! Make it a girls’ night, meet fellow science nerds, or bring a date. Click here to purchase your tickets!
The Mega-Bad’s Female Geek Panel
- Kennedy Allen is an actor, podcaster, writer, freelance journalist, sci-fi/comic book nerd, baseball fan, and cat mom. Born and raised in Philadelphia, Kennedy comes from an acting background with separate emphasis on Shakespeare and improvised theatre. She co-produces and hosts the award-winning weekly podcast Black Tribbles, which enabled her to gain opportunities like a year-long contribution to Philadelphia Weekly, participating in the 17th Annual Arturo Schomberg Symposium, and hosting events such as the 3rd Annual AfroFuturist Affair, as well as the WINS 30th Anniversary Luncheon and Award Ceremony of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University. In her spare time, Kennedy can be found pondering the lack of diversity in comics, chipping away at that sci-fi novel that’s taking her forever to write, and training for her next Spartan Race.
- Christine Danowsky, born at a very young age to a Sith Lord and a Queen of Naboo, is now coordinator of all things camp at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University. She is an educator, artist, world traveler, and lover of intended puns. She survived 12 years of Catholic school, after which she attended Arcadia University. In addition to her Academy duties, she is an artist with aerosol, world traveler, and Hello Kitty aficionado. When she isn’t watching enough reality TV to numb any human brain, she’s riding ATVs up rock-covered ridges in the Poconos, writing scripts, and playing a puppeteer. Her keen ability to use movie catchphrases in everyday life is quintessential to her personality.
- Ellen Wildner is a senior at Drexel University studying biology, a professional eater of all things chocolate, and a cat disciplinarian. Born in Arkansas and raised in North East PA (NEPA), she has a background in dry wit and sass. When she isn’t studying, she’s yelling at her cats to get off her study materials. She had a co-op in the Academy’s Malacology Department and somehow was convinced to come back and volunteer each week—but she’s really in it for the free tea. She has been banned from Instagram due to overwhelming amounts of cat photography.
The Academy has two ticket types for Mega-Bad Movie Night:
- $25/$20 for members – VIP Ticket with Open Bar (includes snacks and beer/wine)
- $15/$10 for members – Designated Driver Ticket (includes snacks and non-alcoholic drinks)
In addition to the movie, Mega-Bad Movie Nights include:
- Complimentary snacks
- Academy specimens
- Live animals
- Fun hands-on activities
- You must be 18 years of age to attend this event and 21 or over to drink.
Have you explored the Academy? Have you read our previous articles about the Academy of Natural Sciences?
Go read them, check out why you would love to visit the Academy.
We are giving away 10 sets of 2 passes each to the Academy’s !
Jersey Family Fun’s the Academy of Natural Sciences Mega-Bad Movie Night Ticket Giveaway
We’ll have 10 winners!
Jersey Family Fun Giveaways and Contests are subject to the following rules and conditions:
- Unless otherwise stated, entrants can earn a free entry by checking the first free entry box.
- You may earn an additional entry by leaving one comment on the Jersey Family Fun giveaway/contest blog post, that answers the question being asked during the timeframe of the contest. Comments that do not answer the question, while appreciated, will not be valid or count as meeting the requirement. Comments left after the giveaway/contest has closed will not be valid toward the contest.
- Contact information is a requirement for entry: name and a valid email address is required. Other non-personal information may be required/requested for entry. Your name and email address will be shared with the Academy of Natural Sciences, you will be able to opt out of their emails.
- Our giveaways/contests are by no means sponsored by Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube or any other social media platform. You may use them to earn additional entries, but you are not required to use them to enter. None of these social media channels are responsible if you don’t win.
- You must live in the tri-state area and be able to travel to this location to win.
- No purchase is ever necessary to win a Jersey Family Fun prize in an online contest.
- Chances of winning are dependent entirely on the number of eligible entries received.
- We will pick 10 winners. Each winner will receive 2 tickets each to visit the Academy of Natural Sciences for this Mega Bad Movie Night on May 21, 2015 only.
- The Academy of Natural Sciences is located at 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia, PA.
- The contest will run from Tuesday, April 28, 2015 until midnight Tuesday, May 12, 2015.
- The winner will be announced Wednesday, May 13, 2015. You will have until Friday, May 15, to claim your prize by emailing us back your name and mailing address to Melanie.
- The winner is responsible for his/her own travel and parking costs.
- Once all entries have been validated, we will use Rafflecopter to select a winner. View our how to use Rafflecopter video here.
- Winners agree to provide contact and shipping information to Jersey Family Fun and/or the giveaway sponsor, including full name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Unless otherwise stated, giveaways and contests are only available to residents in the United States. Unless stated otherwise ticket and giftcard prizes are only valid in New Jersey and for specific dates/performances. Void where prohibited by law.