As a classroom mom and appointed Halloween party host of the neighborhood I am always on the lookout for fun, inexpensive, and easy treats that the kids can help me make. One of our favorite treats to make are edible eyeballs. I know I have you squirming in your chair now but it’s a perfect treat. My boys giggle whenever we make them and they love the “creepy” factor the eyeballs add to a table full of goodies for our party guests.
Edible Eyeballs Ingredients:
- 1 box of doughnut holes
- 1 bag of white melting chocolate (We used Wilton Chocolates, since it has melted easiest for us over the years)
- 1 bag of gummy lifesavers
- 1 bag of chocolate chips
Directions for Making Edible Eyeballs:
1. Melt a bag of chocolates. You can do this in a double boiler, a fondue pot or in the microwave. We choose to use the microwave method, which has you pour a bag of chocolate into a microwave safe bowl. Run the microwave at 20-30 second intervals on medium high heat. After each cycle stir chocolate. You can quit this process once you have a nice smooth consistency.
2. Dip doughnut hole into melted chocolate.
3. Remove doughnut hole from chocolate and place on waxed paper lined cookie sheet.
4. Place gummy lifesaver on top of the doughnut hole and add a chocolate chip pupil.
5. Place cookie sheet in refrigerator for about 10 minutes or until chocolate has hardened.
6. Serve and enjoy the giggles from the kids as they enjoy a plate of eyeballs.
Please share photos with us on our Facebook page of your spooky Halloween treats, we would love to see them!
View other recipes families can make together in our What’s Cooking Wednesday series.