“Cat, hat. In French chat, chapeau. In Spanish it’s el gato in a sombrero.”
Whenever I think of The Cat in the Hat this song from the animated movie always jumps in my head. Crazy, I know. And of course, whenever I think of The Cat in the Hat I always picture his iconic red and white striped super tall top hat. “The Seuss hat” as I call it.
To kick off our month of Seuss, our Seuss-A-Palooza on Jersey Family Fun, I thought I’d show everyone how to make a super easy, super fun, super cool Seuss hat that you and your kids can wear tomorrow for Dr. Seuss’ 108th birthday!
How to Make Your Own Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat Hat
- 3 pieces 9″x12″ white construction paper
- 1 piece 9″x12″ red construction paper
Directions to Make Your Own Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat Hat
- Glue 2 pieces of white construction paper together. (NOTE: We made our first one 12″ tall and it was a bit small sitting on my son’s head. For big kids, I would definitely suggest making the hat 9″ tall instead.)
- Using your red paper, cut it into 8 equal strips. Make sure you hold your paper the correct way. For a 12″ hat, you want (8) 9″ strips. For a 9″ hat you want (8) 12″ strips.
- Glue your red strips to your long white paper placing 2 strips next to each other per line to form one long stripe.
- Once you’ve finished the stripes, dry fit the Seuss hat to your child’s head. Glue the vertical edge of your paper to form a cylinder (you can see in the above picture the purple glue line).
- Using your remaining white piece of paper (in my example I used red, but it really should be white), place the top of your hat in the center of the paper and trace the circumference of your Seuss Hat. Cut another larger circle around that to create the brim of your hat. Fold in half to get your center and cut lines the diameter of your inner circle.
- Fold the 8 triangles you’ve created up. They will be the tabs you use to attach the brim to the top of your Seuss hat.
- Place the top of your Seuss hat on the brim making sure the tabs are on the inside. Tape the tabs to the inside of the hat and – voilá – you have your very own Seuss hat!