Monster Jam is one of the most popular family friendly sporting events around and I now understand why!
In anticipation of the Monster Jam: Path of Destruction making its way to the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, June 16, we were invited to attend the opening night of the show in Baltimore, Maryland. I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first about how family friendly this event would be as this was our first ever Monster Jam event. I was pleasantly surprised, how family focused the entire day was. Monster Jam isn’t the type of event that you show up to and see a show and then head home. Attending a Monster Jam show can encompass a full day of activities.
Welcome to Monster Jam, an incredible family-friendly experience starring the biggest performers on four wheels: Monster Jam monster trucks. These twelve-feet-tall, ten-thousand-pound machines will bring you to your feet, racing and ripping up a custom-designed track full of obstacles to soar over – OR smash through. Monster Jam provides a massive night’s entertainment tailored perfectly for your family’s budget, and these colorful, larger-than-life beasts are sure to capture the hearts of both young and old.
Before the show started we were treated to a VIP All Access Behind the Scenes Tour. Before we could start our tour we were given safety vests to put on. This put me at ease knowing that Monster Jam was concerned with our family’s safety! While on our tour we were able to walk the Path of Destruction course, have our photos taken with the crush cars and jumps, and even explore the SpeedTV stage and sit in the winners Hot Seat.
Fun Facts about the Monster Jam: Path of Destruction Course
- Depending on the size of the arena it can take about 4000 tons of dirt to create the course
- Monster Jam owns the dirt. They store it in large bins and bring it to each of the venues
- A crew of 8 work 18-20 hour days for 3 days to construct a course
- The paint used on the jumps is eco-friendly and easily removed to leave the venue in the same condition it was when they arrived to build the course.
- The crush cars are purchased from local junkyards, after the event when the cars are crushed up they are returned to the junkyards who recycle them and sell them for scrap.
- Months before a course is set up a team of drivers, engineers, and officials plan out a course and discuss its safety. While Monster Jam is meant to be entertaining it also is made safe for its fans and drivers.
When we had finished our tour of the course, we were led outside to the Party in the Pits. This has to be one of the coolest aspects of Monster Jam. How many sporting events can you take your family to where they get to spend the afternoon interacting with the stars of the event before showtime. This is a ticketed event that can purchased as an add on for $15 per person but it is well worth the money. The pit party is fun for all ages, it gives families a chance to meet the drivers and get free autographs, to see the trucks up close and personal, and to take plenty of photos. Unfortunately due to time constraints with the course tour we didn’t get to participate in a few of these activities. As we walked around the party we saw many smiling families who told us they thought of the pit party was “AWESOME!”
What will you find at the pit party?
- All 16 competing Monster Jam Trucks
- 6 Display Trucks
- An opportunity to meet the drivers, get autographs and take photos with the trucks.
- Grave Diggers 30th Anniversary Experience
- A life-size replica of the 30th Anniversary truck made completely out of K’nex
- Limited Edition Merchandise
- Grave Diggers Graveyard
- A timeline of Grave Diggers Legacy over the years
- Interactive Displays
- The Destruction Zone featuring Monster Jam trucks Maximum Destruction and Mohawk Warrior
- Marvel Superhero Zone featuring Marvel Monster Jam Trucks
- Captain America
- Iron Man
- Entertainment around the pits that includes
- Sphere of Fear
- BMX Stunt Teams
- Additional Family Fun
- Face Painting
- Design a sign Zone
- Balloon Twisters
- Bounce Houses
- Merchandise, Vendors, and Food
Immediately after the Party in the Pits the Monster Jam Monster Trucks drive their trucks into the venue in the truck parade. You will have to check with the stadium to find out where the parade will be at MetLife, as this information was not available as of yet. The boys loved watching the parade and waving and cheering for their favorite trucks and drivers as they drove by.
We created this fun slide show to show you the fun we had during our Pre-show activities at Monster Jam
Visit YouTube to see all of Crystal’s Monster Jam Videos
Visit us on Facebook to see more photos from Monster Jam
Purchasing tickets for Monster Jam
- Seats start at $35 for adults and $15 for kids.
- Pit Passes $15 each
- $5 Off Adult Tickets Discount Coupons available at participating Advance Auto Parts locations from 5/28/12 through 6/15/12 while supplies last.
- Use code BLOGGER to save $10 off a $25 or $35 ticket
- Tickets are available
Stay tuned to Jersey Family Fun, where our own Crystal and her family traveled with the Monster Jam team last weekend in Baltimore to get a preview of the show and a behind the scenes look at the drivers and their trucks. Click Monster Jam Path of Destruction to view the latest in our series about the Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam Tour.
In full disclosure this series is being sponsored by Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam, who provided Jersey Family Fun with VIP Access and accommodations to attend the Baltimore show and to host a giveaway. We were responsible for some of our own travel costs.