This post was sponsored by Dramamine® as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central.
As a child I traveled a lot. I can remember frequent trips from our home in Cypress, Texas to a condo in Galveston. I remember a vacation seeing the Grand Canyon and almost skiing in Vail, Colorado. At 10, I took my first plane ride EVER alone on a plane across the ocean to Holland to see my grandmother. When me moved to the Old Bridge area of New Jersey, our traveling didn’t stop. There were road trips to Wildwood, Hersheypark, and Peddler’s Village. Of all those memories never once do I remember getting motion sickness.
When did it change?
I can’t recall the very first time I got carsick or when motion sickness became a regular thing for me. I do remember that my worst car sickness often came at the worst possible moments. One of those first times I do remember getting carsickness was in my then boyfriend’s (now husband) Ford Mustang. We were in college possibly heading to Baltimore. That episode of car sickness came on so quickly there was no time to pull over. It came with no warning! And let’s just say he handled it very well. Thankfully because of some motion sickness remedies I’ve never gotten that sick in his car again. All though I’ve gotten close.
After that I could usually tell when I was starting to get carsick. There would be a queasiness in my stomach. I would get warm. I would need fresh air. The nauseousness was the worst. When you’re in the car with your husband, he understands. We open the windows. We put on the air. We pull over when we have too.
Other times, dealing with car sickness hasn’t been so easy. Weeks after becoming pregnant with my third son, I was on a yellow school bus getting a tour of a district I would soon be teaching at. No one knew I was pregnant and yet there I was trying so desperately to not get sick on a bumpy hour-long ride on a school bus during the dog days of summer.
Another time, I was in a 15 passenger van with my friend, her husband, my kids, and her kids. I was squished between two kids when I could feel my stomach start to rumble. There were lots of silent prayers as I prayed that I would not ruin the trip for everyone by getting carsick.
Car sickness, motion sickness, I have been living them with unsuccessfully for the last few years. Who wants to go on a vacation with mom, when doing so might make her sick? I tried lozenges. I’ve tried the stretchy wristbands that apply pressure to your pressure points. None of that seemed to work until I tried Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals.
Did you know Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals is the first non-drowsy solution for motion sickness from Dramamine®? The way Dramamine® uses ginger is different than other motion sickness remedies. Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals contains the clinically-tested ginger dosage required for preventing and treating motion sickness. That explains why ginger ale or candies don’t work for me or many others. Take it before you start your trip to prevent motion sickness or take it once you’ve started to relieve motion sickness symptoms nausea and vomiting. Dramamine® is made from natural ginger, making it safe to use every day you travel. Boat cruises, road trips, plane rides.. you can be ready for any family travel adventure.
I typically take Dramamine® thirty minutes or so before I start on a trip. It’s gotten to the point where I know keep it in my purse. There’s been too many surprise moments or times I’ve forgotten to pack it, it’s just better I be prepared. With all the traveling I do with my family, I refuse to let motion sickness slow me down. With Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals I can avoid the motion sickness and not have to worry about being drowsy for the rest of my trip.
If you’re an adult prone to motion sickness, like me, here’s some of my tips for dealing with motion sickness or avoiding motion sickness in the first place.
Mom’s Motion Sickness Remedies & Tips
- Make sure you always have Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals with you. Keep a supply in your luggage as well as your purse. You want to make sure you have enough for all the trips you’ll be taking while on your trip. Click over to take advantage of this Dramamine® Digital Coupon.
- Take Dramamine® 30 minutes before your trip.
- If you’re traveling by bus, train, or plane set up your phone to alert you to take the Dramamine 30 minutes before departure.
- Try to rest/sleep while in transit. I find if I can rest the time goes by faster and I’m less likely to think about getting sick.
- Limit your screen time and reading. I’ve found that if I read too much at a time or spend long periods looking at my iPhone I’m more prone to motion sickness.
- Focus on the view. Play I Spy with your kids. Some swear by keeping their eyes on the horizon. That works for a while, but for me I start to get bored after a while. Instead playing I Spy with the kids keeps me distracted and helps them keep busy. It’s a win win.