Originally published in 2013, but updated and republished annually.
Local Museums with Free Admission for the Smithsonian Magazine’s Museum Day Live
Museum Day Live is an annual event hosted by the Smithsonian Magazine, this year is the 11th annual Museum Day. Museum Day is Saturday, September 23, 2017. During this event select museums around the country offer free admission to guests holding a Free Museum Day ticket. With so many museums participating there is something for all families to enjoy.
How do I get Free Museum Day tickets?
- Visit the Smithsonian Magazine website (Tickets go live August 1st).
- Fill out the form here to get your free tickets (Please note that only one ticket per household for 2 people).
- Tickets will then be emailed to you. Print the tickets out and bring them to the museum you selected.
- The ticket will gain you access into the museum only, if there is a charge for parking or special exhibits you will need to pay additional for those.
- Also please note if the museum reaches capacity, you will not be able to enter until space becomes available.
New Jersey Museums with FREE admission for Smithsonian Magazine’s Museum Day Live Saturday, September 23, 2017
- Historical Society of Princeton – Princeton
- Monmouth County Historical Association – Freehold
- MCHA Covenhoven House – Freehold
- The Noyes Museum of Art of Stockton College – Oceanville (Galloway)
- Washington Crossing Historic Park
- The Sarnoff Collection
- US Golf Museum – Far Hills
- Whitesbog Historic Village and Agriculture Museum – Browns Mills
- Hunterdon Art Museum – Clinton
- Dey Mansion
- American Labor Museum/Botto House National Landmark – Haledon
- MCHA Holmes-Hendrickson House – Holmdel
- Museum of Early Trades and Crafts – Madison
- MCHA – Marlpit Hall – Middletown
- MCHA – Taylor-Butler House – Middletown
- Wheaton Arts – Millville
- Montclair Art Museum – Montclair
- Morris Museum – Morristown
- MCHA – Allenhouse – Shrewsbury
- New Jersey State Museum and Planetarium – Trenton
- Old Barracks Museum – Trenton
- Monmouth Museum
- Liberty Hall Museum
Philadelphia Museums with FREE admission for Smithsonian Magazine’s Museum Day Live Saturday, September 23, 2017
- The Print Center
- The Penn Museum
- American Swedish Historical Museum
- Woodford Mansion
- Rosenbach Museum and Library
- Independence Seaport Museum
- Historic St. George’s UMC and Museum
- Philadelphia History Museum
New York City Museums with FREE admission for Smithsonian Magazine’s Museum Day Live Saturday, September 23, 2017
- Asia Society and Museum
- Cooper Hewitt – Smithsonian Design Museum
- Dyckman Farmhouse Museum
- Fraunces Tavern Museum
- Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum
- Mount Vernon Hotel, Museum and Garden
- Museum of Chinese in America
- New York City Fire Museum
- Museum of the City of New York
- Society of Illustrators
- The Cathedral of St. John the Divine
- The Morgan Library and Museum
- The Rubin Museum of Art
- Ukrainian Museum
- Staten Island Museum at Snug Harbor
- The Noble Maritime Museum
- Historic Richmond Town
- Queens Historical Society
- Museum at FIT
- Museum of Arts and Design
- Bard Graduate Center Gallery
- The Jewish Museum
What a great opportunity to take your family out for the day, save a few dollars and have fun while learning.
Where will you go for Smithsonian Magazine’s Museum Day Live?