Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is a great addition to any Wildwood trip!
It’s been on my bucket list to visit every open lighthouse in New Jersey. I decided that I would visit Hereford Inlet Lighthouse on my most recent trip to Wildwood, New Jersey. It’s located just 5-minutes away from the Wildwood Convention Center!
Hereford Inlet Lighthouse holds many events through-out the year. During summer and early fall, it’s used as a farmer’s market, and during the winter Christmas events take place. Even Santa can be seen enjoying the lighthouse. This New Jersey Lighthouse also has a festival each year in mid-July.
Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is a working lighthouse as well as a museum. It is open to the public for guided and self guided tours. Visitors will learn about the history of Hereford and get a glimpse of the life of a lighthouse keeper in the late 19th and early 20th century.
What you will see at the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse:
- A 15-minute video of the history of the Lighthouse.
- Different bedrooms in the lighthouse
- A room filled with lighthouse memorabilia and tons of information on the many keepers of the lighthouse.
- The lighthouse room
- The steps right before the lantern room.
- A gift shop with books, toys, calendars and Christmas ornaments.
- A beautiful view of the shore below.
- A beautiful garden around the Lighthouse: A park surrounding the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is designed with many different garden areas containing over 200 plant varieties. The gardens are planted in the Victorian cottage style and extend right up to the ocean seawall. They have won several awards, including the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society Suburban Greening Award.
Hereford Inlet Lighthouse Hours of Operation:
Oct. 20 – May 23 Oopen 5 days per week
- Closed Monday and Tuesday
- Open Wednesday- Sunday 10 AM till 2 PM
- lLast tour ticket sold 1 PM
May 24th 2012 to Oct 21st 2012– Open 7 days per week
- Hours: 9.00am – 5:00pm
- Last tour ticket sold 4:00 PM
Hereford Inlet Lighthouse Prices/Fees:
NO CHARGE TO BROWSE THE GARDENS OR GIFT SHOP
TOUR ADMISSION FEES:
- Adults 12 yrs. and up $4.00
- 11 yrs. and under $1.00
- Call for group rates 609 522 4520
The Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is located at 111 N. Central Ave, Wildwood, New Jersey.