Take a Hike – And So Much More!
June 3rd is National Trails Day and New Jersey is a great place to participate! Some may think of hiking as a strenuous activity in need of special gear and lots of time. Not the case! Many New Jersey trails are of all different skill levels, and even paved to accommodate bikes and strollers. Getting outside has plenty of benefits!
- Screen free family time
- Plenty of nature observation
- Healthy exercise
Take the opportunity that New Jersey National Trails Day events provide, and take that first step to getting outside. There’s no length you must hike, and as long as you’re wearing comfortable and sturdy shoes, you have all the gear you need. You may also need sunscreen and bug spray of course, and don’t forget your camera!
National Trails Day is always the first Saturday in June. It is organized by the American Hiking Society as as of May 2, there were 20 New Jersey National Trails Day Events. Watch our post for updates!
Some of the family friendly New Jersey National Trails Day Events:
- National Trails Day Bird Walk, Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, 300 E. Great Creek Road, Oceanville, Atlantic County, 8 AM – 4 PM
- Discovery Hike, Kittatiny Valley State Park, 199 Goodale Road, Andover, Sussex County 11 AM
- Trail Conference National Trails Day Open House Sponsored by REI, 600 Ramapo Valley Road, Mahwah Bergen County 9 AM – 3 PM
- National Trails Day on the South End Trails, Ramapo Street & Elm Avenue, Pompton Lakes, Passaic County. June 3, 2PM – 4:30 PM
- BCNJ All Trails Day at Whitesbog, 733 Lakehurst Road, Browns Mills, Burlington County. June 3, 10 AM – 12 PM
- BCNJ Outdoor Workout, Freedom Park 305-307 Hickory Court, Medford, Burlington County. June 3, 10 AM – 11 AM
Looking for more kid friendly hiking? Check out Hike It Baby for more ideas.