In honor of National Take A Child Outside Week, September 24 – September 30, we wanted to give you some great ideas about where to go with your children this week and activities to do. Each day, this week we’ll focus on an outdoor activity or place your family can enjoy. After all, the cooler weather is here so before the months get colder make some time to get outside.
Remember playing and exploring outside
- Helps children develop an appreciation and love for nature,
- Helps children focus in school,
- Helps burn off that excessive energy (that otherwise might result in your kids running around the house.)
- The activity keeps them healthier and reduces the risk of obesity.
Let’ start with our New Jersey Parks & Playgrounds (see the list here). You can see our list, organized by county. We are still adding to it. (Please share with us one we might have missed.) In New Jersey, we are blessed with such a variety of parks. Every county, every township has a wealth of playgrounds or nature parks for our children to explore. There is no reason to miss getting outside this week. You can even read our playground reviews in our New Jersey Parks & Playground series.
What do New Jersey Parks offer besides swing sets and slides?
- Nature Trails
- Activity Centers
- Fishing Spots
- Guided Tours
- Basketball and Tennis courts
- Soccer, baseball, and football fields
- Working Farms
- Historic villages, where you can see buildings, homes, and farms from earlier days
- Opportunities to see animals in their natural habitat
- Camping Grounds
- Educational activities (many parks have their own environmental centers that run FREE monthly programs for children.)
Have we inspired you yet?
We have more ideas coming this week, so keep visiting Jersey Family Fun. You can always read up on our past outdoor-related blogs in our The Great Outdoor Series or visit our pictures of the best outdoor places in our Facebook Gallery.
Let us know how you will participate in Take A Child Outside Week. Share your comments here or on our Facebook Wall. Share your pictures with us on Facebook.