Do you have dental insurance?
How long has it been since your kids had a dental check up?
Did you know there is day every February where New Jersey dentists offer free dental screenings for kids?
If you lack dental insurance for your children or need assistance with your children getting regular cleanings, the Give Kids a Smile Campaign returns this year. On February 3, 2017 dentists across New Jersey will participate by providing children with FREE dental cleanings and other services. For a list of available locations providing free dentist appointments in New Jersey, click here.
Consider these stats from Dental Plans.com
- 80% of tooth decay in the U.S. is suffered by 25% of the children.
- More than 50 percent of uninsured and 30 percent of insured Americans skipped necessary dental care visits during the last year due to financial burdens, according to a 2009 Harris Interactive/HealthDay Poll.
- At least one in five U.S. children go without annual dental care and most states lack key policies to ensure access to cost-saving preventive treatments, according to a 2010 study by the Pew Center on the States.
- Only 48 percent of children entering kindergarten have seen a dentist within the past year and 52 percent ages six to eight have tooth decay, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
- According to the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), more than 51 million school hours are lost each year due to dental-related illness.
- Tooth decay is the most common and the most preventable disease in children, according to the AGD. Tooth decay is five times more common than asthma and seven times more common than hay fever.
- Results from the most recent Gallup-Healthways poll of 355,334 Americans indicate that 34 percent of the population did not visit a dentist last year at all.
Thank goodness the New Jersey Dental Association recognizes the struggles of families to provide their children with dental care. Like they have been doing for several years, they will partner with dentists across the country in the Give Kids a Smile Campaign. Friday, February 3 over 100 New Jersey dentists will provide children, 12 and under, regardless of income, free dental screenings.
During the Give Kids a Smile Day, dentists will provide free dental screenings to kids.
These free dentist exams for kids include
- oral hygiene instruction
- screenings, cleanings
- fluoride treatments
- stainless steel crowns
- and much more.
For a list of locations offering free dental exams for kids click here. Appointments are required. Please call the locations nearest you NOW to make that appointment. Some offices are open all day for the services, others for half the day.
There is no shame in not having dental insurance, there is no shame in your kids not having had a dental exam. The shame is to miss out on a day like this that hopes to make dental services, FREE and accessible to our children.