Best Winter Activities for Families in Essex County
Cold weather does not have to stop your family from having fun this winter. Bundle up the kids, jump in the car and go explore all that Essex County has to offer this season.
Take them Sledding
When the first snowfall hits all children have the same thought…let’s go sledding! Essex County is home to many great sledding locations. It is suggested you check with the township associated with the hill before you head out, just to make sure there are not any restrictions or limitations.
Essex County Sledding Hills:
- Branch Brook Park, Newark
- Brookdale Park, Rose Garden Hill, Bloomfield
- Carteret Park, Glen Ridge
- Cedar Hill, Livingston
- Cameron Field, South Orange
- Fisher Field, North Arlington
- Flood’s Hill, Meadowbrook Lane, South Orange
- Francis A. Byrne Golf Course, West Orange
- Hillside School (Hillside Ave.) Livingston
- Jefferson Elementary School, Maplewood
- Leonia Swim Club, Grand Avenue and Moore Street, Leonia
- Lincoln Woods, West Pierrepont Avenue and Carmita Avenue, behind Lincoln School, Rutherford
- Maplewood Memorial Park, Maplewood
- Montclair Public pool, sledding hill across the street, Montclair
- Montclair University, Montclair
- Mountainside Park, supervised sledding from 12pm – 4pm, Montclair
- New Newark Baptist Church, Newark
- Nishuane Park, Montclair
- PIP Park, off North Central Road, Hudson Terrace at Palisades Interstate Parkway, Fort Lee
- Pulaski park, Bloomfield
- Redwood Elementary School, West Orange
- Reinheimer Park, Nutley
- Riker Hill Park, Livingston
- Ridgefield Park Jr./Sr. High School, Ridgefield Park
- South Mountain Reservation, along Brookside Drive, West Orange/Millburn
- Verona Park, Verona
Kidgits Indoor Playground, 112 Eisenhower Parkway, Livingston, NJ 07039
The Livingston Mall is not just a cool place to go and shop. Did you know that there is an indoor playground in this mall. What better way to get some extra energy and sillies out then climbing and running around a playground, WITHOUT being in the cold outdoors. The best part about this Kidgits play area is that it is FREE!
What does the playground offer?
- Carpeted and cushioned play area for children.
- A bright and colorful environment
- Seating surrounding the play area for adults to supervise. Underneath the seating is cubby holes for shoes to be stored.
- Play car, boat, and rocket ship (it might actually be a plane, but since it lacks wings I am describing it as a rocket ship).
- Caterpillar to climb or children can crawl through the log tunnel underneath it.
- Plastic play house with tiny slide and tunnel as well as clear windows.
- Large puzzles and mirror for infants or toddlers.
- Infant activity center.
- Changing table with garbage can.
- There is free Wi-Fi.
- Children 42″ and smaller are allowed in play area
Hit the Rink
Codey Arena, 560 Northfield Ave, West Orange, NJ 07052
Codey Ice Skating Arena is the perfect place to enjoy some winter sports. Whether you are a beginner or have been ice skating for years, this arena will meet your winter fun needs.
January Public Skate Schedule: http://essex7.usedirect.com/EssexWebHome/Facilities/OnlineSearch.aspx
February Public Skate Schedule: http://essex7.usedirect.com/EssexWebHome/Facilities/OnlineSearch.aspx
- new state-of-the-art lobby for the arena including meeting rooms, a skylight, and automatic doors.
- Pro shop (now a glice training area), arcade, and concession stand.
- A new set of dasher boards, Plexiglas, compression system, jumbotron screen, and seats for Rink 1, as well as a new dehumidifier for Rink 2.
Home Depot 60 Orange, Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003
The Home Depot offers a series of kid friendly classes during the winter months. The topics vary month to month but the skill level is always for beginners.
- All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last.
- Children must be present at the store to participate in the workshop and receive the kit, apron and pin.
- You must PRE-REGISTER for classes before you attend them.