What is it about an up-close-and-personal visit with animals that makes kids of any age excited? A visit to a zoo is one of the only places where I can take all of my kids where no one will ever complain or get bored. While some zoos stay open year-round, our personal favorite time of year to visit a zoo is the spring. The animals are frisky and love being outside after a long winter season, and the kids can run around and enjoy the sights without over-heating.
We at Jersey Family Fun have pulled together a listing of all of the zoos in New Jersey – plus a few in our surrounding metro areas. We think your kids will love a visit, and so will you!
New Jersey Zoos
- Turtle Back Zoo (Essex County) – 560 Northfield Ave, West Orange, NJ. 973-731-5800.
- Read our review of the Turtle Back Zoo here.
- Space Farms Zoo & Museum (Sussex County) – 218 County Road 519, Sussex, NJ. 973-875-5800.
- Bergen County Zoo (Bergen County) – 216 Forest Ave, Paramus, NJ. 201-262-3771.
- Read about some events we’ve attended at the Bergen County Zoo here.
- Popcorn Park Zoo (Ocean County) – 1 Humane Way, Forked River, NJ. 609-693-1900.
- Read our review of the Popcorn Park Zoo here.
- Cape May County Zoo (Cape May County) – 707 Route 9 North, Cape May, NJ. 609-465-5271.
- Read our review of the Cape May County Zoo here.
- Cohanzick Zoo (Cumberland County) – 45 Mayor Aitken Drive, Bridgeton, NJ. 856-453-1658.
- Read our review of the Cohanzick Zoo here.
Other Places to View Animals in NJ
- Lakota Wolf Preserve (Warren County) – 89 Mt Pleasant Road, Columbia, NJ. 908-496-9244.
- Johnson Park Animal Haven (Middlesex County) – River Road and Cedar Lane, Piscataway
- Read our review of Johnson Park here
- Merrill Park Animal Haven (Middlesex County) – Middlesex Turnpike, Woodbridge
- Read our review of Merrill Park here
- Pequest Trout Hatchery (Warren County) – 605 Pequest Road, Oxford, NJ. 908-637-4125.
- Six Flags Great Adventure ~ Animal Safari (Ocean County) – 1 Six Flags Blvd, Jackson, NJ. (732) 928-2000
Pennsylvania Zoos Local to NJ
- Elmwood Park Zoo – 1661 Harding Blvd, Norristown, PA. 610-277-3825.
- Lehigh Valley Zoo – 5150 Game Preserve Road, Schnecksville, PA. 610-799-4171.
- Philadelphia Zoo – 3400 W. Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA. 215-243-1100.
- Read our review of the Philadelphia Zoo here.
New York Zoos Local to NJ
- Bronx Zoo – 2300 Southern Blvd, Bronx, NY. 718-367-1010.
- Read about our visit to the Bronx Zoo here
- Central Park Zoo – 64th Street and 5th Avenue, New York, NY. 212-439-6500.
- Prospect Park Zoo – 450 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn, NY. 718-399-7339.
- Staten Island Zoo – 614 Broadway, Staten Island, NY. 718-442-3100.
- Read our review of the Staten Island Zoo here.
Where is your favorite place to see animals?