A night of musical entertainment perfect for all ages
Recently my family and I attended the American Idol Live Tour when it made a stop at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall. We have watched Idol every season but had never attend a concert. We couldn’t wait to see American Idol winner Phillip Phillips perform his single Home, watch Joshua Ledet wow a crowd with his amazing voice, and see how impressive, 16-year-old, Jessica Sanchez would blow us away with her powerful vocals and stage presence.
I had a surprise though for the girls before the show, thanks to AT&T we were able to briefly meet all the Idols before the show. It was a quick meet and greet with all the Idols sitting at a long press table but, we were able to shake each Idol’s hand and say hello. There were a few great moments in that quick line though like when Colton Dixon told my 12 year old that she was his favorite young fan, or when my older daughter said ” I Love You” to HeeJun Han and he quickly responded with then lets get married which made Josh smile and ask if he could be the best man. These are memories that the girls and I will never forget. At the end of the meet and greet we were all given 8×10 posters signed by all the Idols, which are now proudly hanging in their rooms.
The show started at 7:00 pm and we were instantly on our feet singing along and dancing. The opening number Sing was performed by almost the entire cast, Phil doesn’t start singing until later in the show. This is one of my favorite songs, I had the hair standing up on the back of my neck after hearing the cast perform it. We couldn’t wait to see what the rest of night had in store for us. We were given a musical smorgasbord of both group and solo performances. I was pleasantly surprised with the mixture of 30 songs that were performed. There was something for everyone not matter how young, old, or musical preference. The entire concert lasted around 2 1/2 hours with a brief intermission between two sets.
Highlights of the American Idol show:
- Kinnelon, New Jersey Native, Elise Testone is such a powerhouse. We enjoyed her on the show but, hearing her belt out Led Zeppelin’s Whole lot of Love and Adele’s Rumor Has It live was a completely different experience. In the words of Idol judge Randy Jackson “This girl can sing!” Elise shined in her solo performances but it was her duet of Gotye’s Somebody That I used to Know with Phil Phillips that had the audience in love. The sound and tone of her voice is so special and she brought a great energy to the crowd.
- When Hollie, Josh, Erika, and Colton started to sing their version of Maroon 5′s Moves Like Jagger the crowd went wild. The Idols moved across the entire stage singing, dancing, and working the crowd. This was a definite crowd favorite!
- Chances are if you have a Tween in your house you are familiar with One Direction and the song What Makes You Beautiful. The Idol cast is also quite familiar with this song. The entire cast came out dressed and ready for a Hawaiian Tropics party singing a medley of Bruno Mar’s Just The Way You Are and What Makes You Beautiful. This is the point of the show where every tween/teen went wild. It was one of our favorite moments of the show. This set closed out the first half of the show and kept us energized and excited about what the second half would bring.
- Jessica Sanchez became a mini Tina Turner on stage when she performed Proud Mary Josh and DeAndre were great as backup vocalists and dancers on this performance.
- Joshua Ledet has a voice like no other. The man has a set of pipes. He performed Jame’s Browns It’s a Man’s World and we thought the roof was going to fly off of Boardwalk Hall. He hits those high notes and makes them fly out of the arena
- Phillip Phillips singing his hit song Home. We have been P2 fans since his Idol audition and couldn’t wait to hear his set. Phil had a bit of a cold that night but we would have never known until he told the crowd. He was so humble on stage and just makes you feel good with his performances.
- The Finale brought all ten Idols back out on stage to put their spin on Pink’s Raise Your Glass and The Wanted’s Glad You Came. This was a great high energy number to end the night. The song showcased each of the Idols again with a quick solo and like most of the night had the crowd on their feet.
If the next season of Idol makes a stop in Atlantic City again I highly suggest going to see it. Its a great night of family entertainment. As far as venues go, I would recommend Boardwalk Hall. The staff was all incredibly friendly and helpful. We had an incident near us where security was needed and the security team was there quickly and controlled the situation in a profession manner. Thanks to AT&T, Boardwalk Hall and The American Idol cast for a fantastic night.
Visit our American Idol Concert Facebook Album for more pictures.
In full disclosure Jersey Family Fun received a Meet and Greet with the American Idol cast and (4) tickets to the American Idol Live Tour in exchange for writing this review. All opinions expressed here are strictly my own and were not influenced in any way. No form of monetary compensation was exchanged.