With the amazing weather coming to an end for the summer I can’t help but feel sad I didn’t get as many beach days in this year as I should have or could have. But, then it also reminded me about how our beaches tend to look once all the visitors have gone. With so many great organizations out there to help keep our waters clean there is something for everyone no matter where you live in New Jersey.
What better way to get the kids together before schools starts! Round up the old class mates and hopefully meet some new ones and head to your local beach sweep! Most of these groups will supply the gloves and garbage bags needed for the sweeps all you supply are the hands. For the little ones I suggest grabbing an old pair of winter gloves or mittens and let them wear those while doing the sweep. The latex gloves most likely wont come in toddler size. Here is a list of some local sweeps, please share with us if you know of any more that aren’t on the list. (Jenniferauer@jerseyfamilyfun.com)
- Sunday, September 16, from 1:00 to 3:30 pm – Brave New World and United By Blue in cleaning up the beach at Maryland Ave in Point Pleasant Beach – email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 215-642-0693 (UBB), or stop by Brave New World’s Point Pleasant Beach location for more info.
- Saturday, October 20, 9 am-12:30 pm – Clean Ocean Actions Annual Beach Sweeps (Dates listed below)
2012 Clean Ocean Actions Annual Beach Sweeps Dates
(Subject to Change)
ATLANTIC COUNTY BEACH CLEAN UP LOCATIONS
- Atlantic City - Missouri Avenue Beach; Press Event/Rally will be held on the boardwalk.
- Atlantic City - Caspian Ave. and N. Maine
- Brigantine – 17th St. Beach, South
- Egg Harbor Twp.- Longport Dog/Malibu Beach
- Longport - 33rd & Atlantic Ave. Beach
- Margate - Granville Ave. Beach
- Oceanville – Forsythe Wildlife Refuge, Visitors Center
- Ventnor - Newport Ave. Beach
CAPE MAY COUNTY BEACH CLEAN UP LOCATIONS
- Avalon - 30th St. Beach
- Cape May- - (2 sites)- 1. Nature Center of Cape May (1600 Delaware Ave.) 2. 2nd Ave. Beach
- North Wildwood - 15th Ave. at Beach Patrol Building
- Ocean City - (2 sites)- 1. 9th St. Music Pier 2. 57th St. Beach
- Sea Isle City – JFK Blvd. Beach (October 15th)
- Strathmere - Webster Ave. Beach
- Stone Harbor – 95th St. Beach
- Wildwood - Poplar Ave. Beach
- Wildwood Crest- Centennial Park (Ocean Ave. & Fern Rd.)
ESSEX COUNTY BEACH CLEAN UP MEETING LOCATION
Glen Ridge/Montclair – (2 sites) 1. Toney’s Brook at Glenfield Park- Meet near entrance at Woodland Ave. and Pierson Place 2. “the Glen” at Bloomfield and Ridgewood ave.
Glen Ridge sites end at 11:00a.m.
MIDDLESEX COUNTY BEACH CLEAN UP LOCATIONS
Old Bridge- Old Bridge Waterfront Park; meet at gazebo of Pirates Cove (for more information contact Scott Meyler (732) 745-3064
South Amboy- Raritan Bay Waterfront Park- Meet at fisherman’s parking lot.
MONMOUTH COUNTY BEACH CLEAN UP LOCATIONS
- Aberdeen - Fisherman’s Parking Lot at Cliffwood Beach
- Allenhurst - Euclid Ave.
- Asbury Park - (2 Sites) 1. Convention Hall at the Boardwalk 2. North Beach (meet at the dirt lot near Asbury Towers)
- Atlantic Highlands - Harbor parking lot on First Ave.
- Avon – Pavilion at Norwood & Ocean Aves.
- Belmar - (2 Sites) 1. Belmar Fishing Club, First Ave. Beach (2) 16th Avenue Beach
- Bradley Beach - Gazebo at 5th & Ocean Aves.
- Brielle- Fisk Avenue and the Public Access Point at the Drawbridge
- Deal – Philips Ave. Beach
- Highlands- (2 sites) 1. Popamore Point on Shore Drive 2. Snug Harbor Ave. Beach (behind Community Center)
- Keansburg - Laurel & Beachway Aves.
- Keyport - Cedar Street (First Street at waterfront)
- Long Branch - Pier Village, meet at public access at Melrose Terrace and Ocean Ave.
- Manasquan-Main Street beach
- Middletown Twp (3 sites) - 1. Leonardo Public Beach South at Beach Ave.; 2. Ideal Beach at Ocean Ave. & Bayside Pkwy.; 3. Bayshore Waterfront Park meet at Fishing Pier
- Monmouth Beach - Bathing Pavilion at 29 Ocean Ave.
- Ocean Grove - Main St. Beach; Meet at Flagpole
- Red Bank-Meet at Chapin Ave.
- Sandy Hook - Parking Lot D (Seagulls’ Nest Restaurant) -
- Sea Bright (4 sites) - 1. Ferguson Beach, north of Rumson/Sea Bright Bridge; 2. Meet at Gaiter’s Restaurant Oceanside; 3. Meet at Algarve Milano oceanside 4. Meet at Public Beach parking lot
- Sea Girt – Boardwalk at Beacon Blvd
- Spring Lake -South End Pavilion at Atlantic & Ocean Aves
- Tinton Falls – Historic Tinton Falls. Meet at Crawford House parking lot.
- Union Beach - Florence Ave at Front St
OCEAN COUNTY BEACH CLEAN UP LOCATIONS
- Barnegat – East Bay Ave. Beach
- Bay Head – Central Market at Rt 35 & Mount St
- Beachwood - Public Beach, Compass Ave
- Brick - Brick Beach III on Rt 35 North, next to Ocean Club and across from Bayside Park
- Lakewood - Lake Carasaljo, meet across from St. Mary’s Church on Rt 9 Lavallette – Philadelphia Ave beach
- Mantoloking – Lyman Ave Beach
- Normandy Beach – Meet at Labrador Lounge at Peterson St & Rt 35 North
- Ocean Gate – Wildwood Ave Pier
- Ortley Beach - Third Ave beach
- Pt. Pleasant – Maxson Ave beach and River Ave beaches
- Pt. Pleasant Beach - (2 sites) 1. Jenkinson’s Aquarium on the Boardwalk 2. Maryland Ave.
- Seaside Heights (2 sites) - 1. Grant Avenue on the Boardwalk; 2. Bayside boat launch along Rt 35 South
- Seaside Park (5 sites) - 1. Stockton Ave on the boardwalk; 2. Second Avenue; 3. Midway Beach at 6th Lane; 4. Island Beach State Park - Bathing Pavilion #1 5. 14 th. Avenue & S Bayview Avenue